Monday 10 January 2022

Squirrel Hunting Season - Side Duel Update #1

Welcome challengers to the first update for the Squirrel Side Duel.


For those of you not aware, the Squirrel Side Duel is a place where the more focus-challenged of AHPC painters compete to paint the most Squirrel Points. What is a Squirrel Point you ask? Simply put a Squirrel Point is achieved by painting 25 points of miniatures in any given period/genre/scale. However, you can only score for each period/genre/scale one time, to get the next point, you must paint a different set of miniatures.

So, for example, if you painted 25 points of 15mm British Napoleonic Infantry, you would get a Squirrel Point. If you later painted another 25 points of 15mm British Napoleonic Infantry, you wouldn't get any additional Squirrel Points. On the other hand, if you painted 25 points of 10mm British Napoleonic Infantry, you would get a point. 

As a change from previous Squirrel Side Duels, this year we are allowing entrants to count different armies in the same period/genre/scale as a separate Squirrel Point. Going back to the above example, painting 25 points of 15mm French Napoleonic Infantry, would get you a Squirrel Point. (In previous years it would not). As the Snow Lord's appointed Squirrelfinder General, I shall be arbitrating any final decisions about what does and does not constitute a Squirrel Point. 

After 3 weeks of the challenge and roughly 160 entries we have some would be Squirrel-wranglers putting scores up on the board. Before we get to those scores, there is a minor piece of administrative information that I feel must be pointed out to all of the competitors in this little side duel.

USE LABELS ON YOUR POSTS!!!

Out of 20 Squirrel Points, only 13 of them were labelled as such. If you are one of the offenders (and I know who you are), be warned. From this point on I will only be counting posts with the Squirrel label attached. I don't want to have to wade through a hundred entries to find your post that you didn't tag with the Squirrel label (and in one case someone didn't add their own name label which would also make things hard to find). 

So, without further ado, let's move on and look at the scores shall we.
These are in no particular order and are based on the names I picked out from the Side Duels discussion. I then had to search through dozens of pages to figure out who people actually are because their commenting name and posting name aren't the same. Based on their comments, I am not 100% sure if Benito and Jez were planning to join, but I have included them both just in case. If anyone feels that they should not be included, or that I have given them the wrong score, please leave a comment below. If anyone would like to join, you can do so, again comment below.

@TeemuL - I added a point for your ducks.
@AdamC - I added a point for your Spanish ship. 

So at the moment it looks like TeemuL is in the lead. Can any of our other duellists catch up? Find out in two weeks time.

P.s. I wasn't kidding, use labels or you won't be receiving any points. 

11 comments:

  1. Hi. Think I have two so far. One for 28mm pulp and 1 for 28mm fantasy. GT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And this is where the labels thing becomes relevant. I only found the 28mm fantasy post when I searched for your name. I will update your score on my spreadsheet.

      Delete
  2. Yay! Early lead, time to breathe, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah sorry I didn't think a single item would count even it it did make the point totals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for doing this Stuart - And there was I thinking that you got 1 squirrel point for every 25 points worth of a unit! :-) Doh

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the Squirrel update, Stuart!

    Labels... Riiiight. On it!

    Yes, Adam, as long as the models equal 25 points you're golden.

    I have you in my sights, Teemu! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ups! I declared guilty your honor, completely forgot to use the labels. My apologies, won't happen again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now looking closely I should have two points: the Canadian army entries for sure; but I also painted a Germanic Barbarioan lady to board Sarah's Stellar Yacht and that entry was worth also 25 points, so that means another squirrel point, right?. Let me know if I'm understanding the scoring system right please

      Delete
    2. I just looked at the entry again, the target of 25 points must all cone from minis, not the bonus points from the challenge sector. So to get that second Squirrel, you'll need another 20 points of Germanic type figures I'm afraid.

      Delete
    3. Roger that! Thanks for taking care

      Delete
  7. Hi thanks for being the minion looking after this - sure I'll be joining in and should give me a push to get some extra painting done!

    Thanks Jez - hopefully first post later this week and will make sure to label!

    ReplyDelete