Monday 10 January 2022

From StuartL - Now You See Me - Solaris - 25 Points

Hello all,

In this post, I am continuing my journey around the outer ring of the challenge sector with a stop off at Solaris. The theme for the planet is Deception and Illusion, which I hope this offering will fit. 


The model is a Tau Stealth Suit for Warhammer 40,000. The Tau are a technologically advanced race that uses high tech weapons and gear to make up for the fact that they are physically very weak in a galaxy teeming with genetically modified super beings, literal demons and intergalactic predators. The stealth suit is a set of powered armour equipped with a jet pack, a rapid fire energy weapon and, as the name implies, a sort of cloaking device that allows the wearer to vanish into thin air.


Most Tau models you see online have bright, clean colours and look like they just walked out of a kids TV show or Japanese anime. I wanted to do something a little more in fitting the Warhammer GrimDarktm aesthetic and so went for a light grey/brown colour with some greys and reds as accents and a LOT of weathering. I also added some bright blue for the power packs on the gun and jet pack.


I don't have a Tau army, but I do have a small handful of models that I was gifted by a friend. At some stage, I hope to paint them up to form a small warband for games of Inquisitor/INQ28 or the like. So, as well as my entry for Solaris, this is also my test piece for that future Warband. At my current rate of grinding through my backlog, expect to see that in AHPC 20+. 

So, for my tally, I have 1x 28mm model at 5 points and an additional 20 points for Solaris. 



Great looking stealth suit Stuart.  All  I know about the Tau is that they are blue and have great tech, certainly the tech is apparent but not the blue.  I would say that you've deceived and confused me, but  there is no challenge in accomplishing that goal.   I really like the grim and grimy feel to this model and also the blue screen highlights.

 25 points it is!

12 comments:

  1. That looks dark, have you considered Kill Team for a small scale WH40k battles?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great subject for Solaris. Love the weathering!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice Stuart! Yes, the Tau kit does invite a certain anime-style to colour selection and painting style (that would be the approach I would take) - but your gritty look here is excellent, a nice alternative. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It doesn’t scream “I’m sleek, beautiful and colourful, I am Tau” which is refreshing. Looks like a proper war machine.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  5. For some reason I am getting Neill Blomkamp vibes from that paint scheme, love it

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautifully weathered Lived in look

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the weathered metal look you achieved here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice painting, love the weathered look.

    ReplyDelete
  9. great weathering on the mech

    cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete