Monday 10 January 2022

From ScottC: Pirates of Umbar (470 points)

 

Hello everyone,

Apologies for my late first submission. Work has been nothing short of crazy and I have tried to keep my mind busy with this project that I have grown to absolutely adore. 

LOTR has always had a special place in my heart as it was my first introduction to wargaming ~16 years ago. My first box set was the Return of the King boxed set from GW with gondor troops facing off against mordor orcs. I had just finished watching the Fellowship of the Ring at the time and I was hooked. The resurgence of the latest Middle Earth Strategy Battle Game (MESBG) a couple of years back rekindled my interest in LOTR and I have been hard at work trying to collect one of every LOTR era armies. 

I have always had an interest in pirates and have always wanted a collection of them for my own. I had purchased a boxed set of the Pirates of Umbar and a set of their Corsair Captain and Bo'sun ~2 years ago. They sat on my shelf of shame for many a year. Last May I was able to purchase a resin 3D Printer and have been adding to my miscellaneous collection since then. Enter the 3d designer Medbury Miniatures: This gentlemen has a patreon that I was instantly drawn to. His target audience is the middle earth crowd and he has designed some excellent wargaming figures perfect for the word of Tolkien.

Off I went to print myself some more pirates and as I watched the entirety of the LOTR and Hobbit Trilogies [Extended versions, of course] I had started and completed my first Army of 2022 and added such a colorful mob to my collection. 

I had purchased Deep Cut Studio ocean mat to prep myself for some future Blood and Plunder or Oak and Iron but needless to say it was perfect for a Pirates of Umbar photo shoot. The terrain, trees, and shrubbery were all created by myself a couple of years ago.

I present: My Corsairs of Umbar:



PJ himself giving orders on the ship.


A reaper Kraken model I chopped up to use as a LOTR Watcher in the Water. Perfect nemesis for pirates at sea!


GW: Dalamyr

3d Printed: Asgard Rising Figure


GW: Corsair Bo'sun

GW: Corsair Captain

3D Printed: Medbury miniatures





Reaper Miniatures: Pirate Captain - admittedly painted up much better than expected.


Medbury miniatures 3d printed with a shield transfer from Little big men.

Northstar Miniatures: [Spanish Crossbowmen, Andalusian Crosbowmen, Unarmored Spanish Crossbowmen] With 3d printed Pavisse from Medbury Miniatures





Mixture of Victrix Vikings and Wargames Atlantic Afghan warriors - with some 3D printed weapons from Medbury Miniatures






Mixture of GW Pirates of Umbar and Medbury Miniatures pirates.















Overall a very fun project and I have discovered a renewed love for pirates.


80x 28mm infantry = 400 points

28mm Sarissa Arab Dow Ship L470 x W60 x H360mm (inc masts and bowsprit) = 60 points I believe.

Total = 460 points

Yowza!  Welcome to the Challenge Scott, awesome collection of stuff, lotsa really wonderful stuff on display here.  I don't know where to start, but excellent use of that Sarissa Dhow and wonderful conversion of the Reaper Kraken.  In fact I am impressed with the results that you've obtained with the always iffy Reaper figures- are they the Bones plastic or the metals?

I added tags for all of the manufacturers you've used, really impressed with the research and mixing and matching in evidence.  I am not familiar with Medbury, but then again I don't have a 3D printer.  I've added some extra points for the whole holistic effect and impact.


22 comments:

  1. That is a boat load of loveliness. Welcone onboard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back Scott and what a terrific opening salvo. So much here to love. That dow is fantastic and I really like how you've taken your time to source the pirates - they all look terrific.

    Have you checked out 'The Printing Goes Ever On' on MyMiniFactory? They have some wonderful Not-LotR models in their catalog. If not, they might scratch an itch for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MY GOODNESS!!!! that's some awesome stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a daunting points bomb, and a marvellous assortment of miniatures that all come together nicely thanks to great painting, and a clear passion for the theme and setting. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a way to start the Challenge! Really eye candy each single model, boat and monster here

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back, Scott - great corsairs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an enter, welcome! Nice Kraken conversion and good brushjob altogether.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Superb painting and kit bashing. The Medbury pirates blend in very well with the GW Corsairs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what a haul. An impressive level of painting too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a really fantastic haul. A paint nuke to get you started in fine style. Well done, sir.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a fantastic way to kick off the challenge. Great work on all of these.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful collection of creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a really nice collection of such individual figures

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fantastic post, love the ship and all the figures.

    ReplyDelete
  15. gosh, some lovely looking figures there, Bravo

    cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  16. Splendid looking ship and pirates!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  17. Welcome to the Challenge, a great big pile of points on your first post, well done 👏

    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cracking entry Scott! Even though the LOTR game is not my thing, I see how it could be used easily for this kind of setup so good call. And what lovely brushwork and painting here in a few different styles. Keep up the awesome work!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Spectacular work! Those prints came out really well and fit right in. I'd love to follow the ongoing adventures of this crew.

    I also like the pink on the kraken.

    See if you can hunt down Warhammer Historical 'Legends of the High Seas'. It is pirate rules using GW's LotR rules. Probably rather rare and expensive now!

    ReplyDelete