Monday 10 January 2022

From Richard P: 28mm Italian Wars or I blame Ken Reilly! (155 Points)

 Ok we are off and running! I had hoped to get this ready for last week but I didn't finish the bases in time. 

It's all the fault of that Yarkshire Gamer, posting pictures of his wonderful Italian Wars collection a while back. Anyway a while ago I picked up a bargain which included a few boxes of Perry plastic War of the Roses & European Mercenaries, way more than I would ever need for my War of the Roses plans so I decided to embark on an Italian Wars project with the rest. Honestly I wasn't sure where this was going to lead as I just fancied painting some pike! But it seems that Simon Miller, author of the To the Strongest ruleset, has announced that he hopes to release his Renaissance version of the rules sometime in 2022. As I really enjoy To the Strongest I decided to base them as I base them in the same way as I base my Dark Age stuff using the 'Bat Bases' from Simon Millers Big Red Bat shop. 

So first up is a unit of 24 Pikemen, 4 Bow and a Command Stand of 2 figures makes a total of 30. All Perrys plastics with a few metal heads also from Perrys. There are also a couple of Arab heads mixed in to add a bit of variation plus some Landsknecht heads and arms from the Warlord Games box.








It's been great looking at everyone's wonderful work and I hope everyone stays safe and well.


I blame Ken R for a lot of things too, but I got myself into this one (Curt however, can blame me)!  I am also a big fan of the Perry plastic ranges that you've used for this post, and the add on heads that they sell.  Lovely crisp paint work, birth colours and nice basing.  What's not to love.

Well done.  I've added a few discretionary points for the big flags.


20 comments:

  1. What a nice first entry to this edition of Challenge! Very nice colors and neat paint job, but those clever looking bases caught my attention (you know, credit card type of attention).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice figures, the Italian Wars are so colourful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! Great idea to add in some heads for variety- wonderful looking unit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great start to your Italian Wars collection, Richard! I'm sure that Ken will happily accept the blame for this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely work Richard - I always enjoy seeing massed pike. I think Peter and I can blame each other, as we got into this period together a few years ago. Now, this just prompts me to get something new done for my Italian Wars collection.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blame Ken as much as you like but at least we‘ve got treated to some eye candy because of him

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these bases, never seen them before. I'm fascinated to see how the "round" ones work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super looking unit - To The Strongest is great fun - hope the Renaissance version is as good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great stuff - hopefully should be posting some Italian Wars stuff in 28mm myself soon.

    Cheers Jez

    ReplyDelete
  10. That’s a proud and dangerous unit, love the bright colours. I’ve never seen bases like that before!
    Cheers,
    MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  11. Me, blame me for Italian Wars 😆 I don't know what you mean 😎 its great to see so many people getting into this wonderful period of history. Great start to your Army Richard

    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  12. One of the things I've really been looking forward to is seeing plenty of Italian wars figures here and these are great

    ReplyDelete
  13. Superb job on the pike and I also really like the flags!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent brushwork Bruce! Ken has a lot to answer for!

    ReplyDelete
  15. loving those Bruce, they look excellent

    cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  16. Not sure who Bruce is ;-) but thanks chaps.

    Cheers
    Richard P

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great looking Italian wars pike,lovely work!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete