Monday 10 January 2022

From ChristopherS -28mm Settlers Defending (45pts.)

My first post of  the challenge is some skirmishing settlers for my French and Indian War collection which has continued to grow over the years, but has yet to see the battlefield which I plan to rectify this year. I suppose the delay has been I wanted to have the right amount before hitting the table ad hoc.


I think ever since I'd seen Last Of the Mohicans(1992) those many moons ago I was hooked with the period . The absolutely fascinating mix of Frontiersmen, regular infantry, Indians, settlers, militia creates a dynamic that gives many different opportunities of gaming from formal battles to bitter skirmishing all in different weather conditions and challenging terrain to navigate like spots of open fields mixed in with dense woods for example.


As for figures one is pretty spoiled for choice as most mainline producers carry a range of figures with some companies dedicated to the period itself. As for myself I went with Galloping Major and Redoubt miniatures as I find both quite painter friendly and packing tons of character.


The paints I used were my go to Foundry range which is my preference for anything Horse and Musket and earlier as I like the strong bold colors they produce. I also use some Vallejo paints which are great as well. The stones and such get a dusting of Mig pigments for some weathering.



I also painted up a preacher to help keep the spirits of the fighting men up and is a useful support option when playing Sharp Practice. I noticed I was short a supporting non commissioned officer for my French Compagnies Franches de la Marine so painted one of those up as well.

So that's 7 settlers, 1 preacher and 1 French Marine all 28mm should give me 45 points.

Thanks for viewing!
Miniature Company- Galloping Major, Redoubt Miniature

Great to see you back at the Challenge Christopher. Lovely work on these FIW figures.  There are some really nice shading effects and great basing.  I have to say that I also really like the cabins in the background, what is the source?

28 comments:

  1. Wow, those look great!! Excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back to the Challenge, Christopher! Beautiful brushwork as usual. Love the vibrant colours and smooth transitions. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the this edition of Challenge Christopher! Nice colorful group you have here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A dapper looking bunch my friend! Coming soon to a Discord Server near you? 😉
    Anyway, looking forward to see them in the flesh

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super painting and lots of character plus exemplary basing, what more could you add!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Top shelf painting as always. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely painting, Christopher - welcome back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are some great bold colours

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are superb - lovely vibrant colours - Do you give lessons in how to highlight a jacket?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very kind scooba. I would recommend heading on over to Wargames Foundry and taking a look at their painting guides which are free. I don't paint exactly like that because I use a grey undercoat and controlled washes in the deeper recesses and apply some highlight's differently when needed or an extra one at times, but the 3 tone method is similar to what I use.

      Christopher

      Delete
    2. Excellent,
      I admire the lush tones of colour you are using, and I really must start snooping around for painting guides.

      Delete
    3. Thank you Sarah the painting guide is quite useful and work very well with the Foundry paints.

      Christopher

      Delete
  10. Peter the cabin is from Hovels. It's listed as the weathered boarded house with stone chimney.
    http://www.hovelsltd.co.uk/acw_25mm.htm

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you everyone for the kind words!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glorious painting as usual Christopher.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Quite well done, and they show up very well against the pure black background.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very well executed vibrant crisp brushwork Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a nice presentation , really set off by the eye catching multi bases - these just ooze class

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your brushwork and colour choices are outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Outstanding work Chris, they're all superbly painted. Which range is the Preacher from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ray and the preacher is from Galloping Major Anglo American civilian pack.

      Christopher

      Delete
  18. Welcome back Christopher, lovely first entry, some great looking figures there 😀

    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous painting, well up to your usual high standard!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete