Monday 8 January 2024

From AdamC: Black Seas Overdue (134 points)

Here is a Black Seas offering Three English Frigates and and Six Brigs, three Royal Navy and three Spanish.  These are for my friend Frank Shephard in exchange for several 1/2400 ships he gave me last year.  I asked him what you want for payment and he asked me to paint is Black Seas Starter set.  I told him sure as long as you don't need them in a hurry.  Well a year later is longer than I expected so these are overdue. 


HMS Squirrle  a 6th Rate Frigate the served in the Seven Years War and American Revolution.  I have told Frank he needs to pair ith with a Canadian Privateer named the Moose... a possible future project. 


HMS Enterprize another AWI era 6th Rate and yes historicly the ship's name was spelt with a "z" her service was extensive but fairly unremarkable. 


HMS Serapis  a famous 5th rate Frigate of the AWI period here I think Frank just likes the name as the historic Serapis was a two decked ship of 44 guns something that isn't modeled by Warlord Games at this time. 


Three English brigs HMS Teaser, HMS Sparkler, HMS Fearless done in the 10 a penney fassion of the 18 gun Royal Navy hard working smallships with weather stained sails. 


Three Spanish Brigs: Destructor, Furor, and Mistral probably privateers or smugglers possibly auxiliaries of the Spanish navy, ready to play cat and mouse with the Royal Navy ships above. 

This is my fist real broadside of the challenge.  Based on past scoring each brig should be 10 points each for 60, and the Frigates 15 points each for another 45 and Overdue gets me up to 125 a solid step toward my goal of 500.   I'll leave it to Sylvain to handle any extra points for rigging, flags etc. and hopefully Frank will like them. 

 

Sylvain: I especially like how you shaded your sails to create volume. It really gives a realistic feel to your miniatures. The extensive use of flags is not only a cool addition, it helps to instantly identify the nation of each of your ships. Well done!

As suggested, I will throw in 1 point per ship for the extra bits and details, bringing  the total to 134 points. Voguent les bateaux!

If you could provide a map of the Analogueville Library showing your progress, that would be appreciated.

 

 

20 comments:

  1. I'll try to provide a copy of the map... Thanks for the kind words and the extra points. I have to say that the sails are provided by Warlord though I did have some custom ones they gave me as part of painting contests prize.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work, I love these ships.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful work Adam. As Sylvain says, the sails are terrific.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do wish I could claim them as my work but alas they are not my work.

      Delete
  4. Love them Adam. I assume that HMS Moose and Squirrel would be chasing the noted pirates Boris Badanov and Natasha Fatale. Great Sails!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work here.. not sure I could paint something like this as I suspect I would be constantly rebuilding them as they look far too fragile for my gorilla hands.. kudos to you for getting them done and so well also!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You made a gret painting work on those ships. The sails particularly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thank you but as I said above I didn't paint the sails

      Delete
  7. these are terrific, I've done a bit of rigging on these chaps before and it drove me completely mad, yours look perfect. wonderful job all round

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you the rigging is all mine, I've learned that less is more and a little rigging goes a long way.

      Delete
  8. Lovely work Adam, especially the shading on the sails. Kudos for the rigging too, I "subcontracted" mine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastc set of ships, well done

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adam, I must agree with many comments above: the weathering of the sails is to die for, great fleet indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Super looking ships 🚢 you've done a great job on the Sails 😎






    I know you didn't do them, sorry could resist 😅

    ReplyDelete
  12. Adam these all look great. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent ships as always, Adam! You almost inspire me to finally get starting on my Black Sail Starter, but the thought of doing the rigging still puts me off I fear. But these are great!

    ReplyDelete