Monday 8 January 2024

From FrederickC - Early War Polish Black Brigade [History] (200 Points)

My second submission for the challenge is a selection of early World War 2 Poles of the 10th Cavalry Brigade, sometimes called the Black Brigade.  It was the only fully operational Polish motorized infantry unit during the invasion of Poland. The figures are from a range called Kromlech Historical. Unfortunately they are now out of production, but a few stores still have some remaining stock. According to some posts I found in a discussion group, the sculptor who designed the range passed away, and the company is planning to revamp the line at some point. These were picked up at another hobby store I visited while traveling home from a re-enactment event back in April. I had seen these online for a while, but I had resisted buying any until now. 

First up is a wz. 1914/1919 Skoda 100mm howitzer and crew, along with a 3D printed Polski FIAT 621L truck done by a friend of mine. He had already printed off four for me that I had painted for last year's challenge, and he felt bad that one of the truck beds was warped, so he printed off another to replace it, so I now have five. I ran into a bit of a snag when I went to assemble the howitzer and found that the wheels were missing. However a friend came through with a pair of wheels from his bits box that solved the problem. They were actually some Warhammer 40K Ork wheels that started out being pretty chunky, but I sanded them thinner to fit the Skoda. The end result works for me. The howizter's base is MDF and came with the set. It is designed so that two of the gunners can be removed as a result of casualties. The other two gunners are sitting on seats on the sides of the trail, and the sculpting is well done so that the folds of the greatcoat fit nicely up against it.




Next is a reconnaissance section consisting of two Sokol 1000 motorcycles with sidecars, and a Polski FIAT 508 III Lazik field car, with three drivers and five soldiers, two armed with Browning wz. 28 automatic rifles. The motorcycles are resin castings, while the field car is a combination of resin and metal bits, such as the front bumpers, windshield, steering wheel, and front seat. All the drivers and crew are metal. Everything went together nicely, although I did have to trim the feet of the field car driver so that he would fit into the front seat better. The motorcycles came with MDF bases, and I decided to make a base for the field car so that it would be easier to handle. The front bumpers looked like something that could get broken off on the gaming table. I quite like the sculpts of the passengers. Instead of the usual staid poses that one sees, the men have their weapons at the ready. The ones in the field car have a foot on the running board, ready to leap out, while the passengers on the motorcycles look like they are leaning into the wind as the bikes speed along.



Lastly I have a section of motorized infantry wearing German WW1 style helmets and gas mask canisters, and armed with Karabinek wz.29 rifles, plus one man carrying a Browning wz. 28 automatic rifle. With the exception of the squad leader, all the figures were one piece castings. They came with 25mm round MDF bases, but since all but one came with a tab designed for a slotted base, I mounted them on some I had in my inventory already. Although some of the proportions seem a bit off, the animation in the sculpts is quite dramatic with lots of variation. One soldier has his collar turned up, while another is a left-handed shooter.There was only one figure that I modified a bit by trimming the length of one corner of his greatcoat that didn't look right.





All of the figures and vehicles were painted using Vallejo acrylics and then given a coat of Army Painter Strong Tone Quickshade. The Quickshade leaves the figures with a glossy sheen, so when the weather is warm enough to go outside, they will get a treatment of matt spray. The colour palette was essentially that laid out in 'Flames of War' for Polish infantry, with the exception of the tall boots worn by the 10th Brigade that were painted black instead of flat earth. See the illustration from 'Flames of War' below for the different colours used.


Given that the figures are from a line called 'Kromlech Historical', and by being out of production, they are now 'history', that is the Library category that most logically applies. 😁

The points being claimed are as follows:

22 x 28mm foot figures @ 5 points each = 110 points

2 x motorcycle 'mounts' @ 10 points each = 20 points

2 x 28mm vehicles @ 20 points each = 40 points

1 x 28mm artillery piece @ 10 points each = 10 points

Library section 'History' @ 20 points = 20 points


Sylvain: I don't know what impress me most of either your amazing paint work or the detailed description of the Polish units you are showing us today. Poles and other early WW2 armies are often discarded by miniatures collectors because of how short the Blitzkrieg campaigns were, but you make things right for these valiant soldiers who fought hard if briefly.

BTW, I love that you paint trucks, I feel less weird :-).

I gave 10 points each to your motorcycles instead of 5. New total is 200.

 If/when I go to Winnipeg, I'll find the time to take a closer looks at all your amazing early WW2 stuff, and maybe have a game? Vive la Pologne!



22 comments:

  1. Lovely work here, I love your photo set up too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great paintjob and nice scenery on the background!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent stuff Frederick, really like these. I've been tempted to do Poles too, but have resisted so far....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always like seeing WW2 vehicles painted up and these are great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work Frederick and I really appreciate the historical references

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent looking Poles, Frederick. I really like those motorcycles with their sidecars.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm all for the WW2 early period, much more fun than playing with the late "kittens" They look great. If you need reinforcements, I suggest taking a look to the Eskice range, not bad at all

    ReplyDelete
  8. excellent entry, great looking figures. The Fiat truck is my favorite very cool

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely wonderful! Love the camo on the artillery and the bikes are awesome. Hopefully the range will get picked up, they're great minis and it would be a pity for them to go OOP

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great looking Poles here Frederick!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice force. I like the camo on motorcycles and artillery as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Solid set of figures, I had a 20mm Polish WW2 army that I sold on to a fried last year. Seeing these guys it makes me think I should start over again. Good figures & vehicles

    ReplyDelete
  13. very cool! I have learned a lot from your post and love the artillery piece specially!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Smashing work on an often overlooked army 👏

    ReplyDelete
  15. Excellent work Frederick. Love the Poles. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A little uncommon, and very nice figures. Great work, Frederick!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Frederick I enjoyed your post and the figures are certainly interesting and well painted.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very nice work, Frederick. Your WWII Polish project has been very cool to follow.

    ReplyDelete