Wednesday 21 December 2016

From ByronM: Kingdom Death Survivors (35 Points)

Well, I needed to get something done on day one, but once I got home from work and started, I got 5 things done!


Day 1 and holy crap I am still following my crazy plan!  I posted my initial plan here: Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge VII - Byron's Insane Plan , but don't worry, I won't stick to it for long.

Anyway, I am starting out with five 35mm scale Kingdom Death survivors.  These are bare bones starting survivors so all they have are lanterns and founding stones (sharpened stones as makeshift knives).


Sometime over this Challenge I really need to learn to take decent pictures as the real figures are both smoother than they look here and not glossy as they almost look here.  Something I have just never managed to be able to do, despite having a light box and a good camera and lens...  sigh.


The survivors all have a very basic attempt at OSL (Object Source Lighting) for the lanterns on them, but only very basic.  They are after all basic survivors and game pieces, which both of my sons (and all their friends) will handle while playing Kingdom Death as they just can't get enough of the game.

Each survivor also has a different colour cloth wrap so that they are easy to tell apart on the board.

At 35mm I believe they count the same as 40mm, so 5x7 points = 35 points to start off with.  Not bad for day one.  I am now off to go prime some Dropfleet Commander stuff and start on some 6mm epic 30k stuff (been waiting not very patiently to get working on those models).

____________________________________

Ah, these look great Byron (BTW, I love this game). I really like your subtle use of OSL. The warm tone of the lantern light is excellent, though I think you could have gone a little darker with the extremities which are further away from the light source, but that's just my opinion. 

I have seen your spreadsheet and it is glorious. I hope you can keep the steam up as I'd love to see you in the upper tiers of the roster. We will be watching you closely, sir!

I'm going to score these KD figures as 40mm castings as they are quite large, so this will give you 35 points. Well done! Now, get back to your spreadsheet and brushes...

36 comments:

  1. Good to love a man with a plan... nice start

    ReplyDelete
  2. great looking figures and enhanced by your great brush work love the OSL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not aware of this game, but I hope to become so as you post more. A very very nice start and I look forward to seeing MORE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great game that has a very steep learning curve to it. And quite a few not so work friendly models.. curious if they will make it into the competition :D

      Delete
  4. What a start, the best looking figs of day one for me. Love the skin tones and use of the OSL

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to agree with Ian. Great stuff looks like they stepped out of 1950s pulp magazine cover, especially the ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice start! I'd been avoiding the new Kickstarter for this, but now you're making me rethink as everyone seems to thing it's brilliant.... and what more excuse do us gamers need?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't avoid it Jamie! The game itself does have some issues, it's not perfect, but it is DAMN GOOD. The core box alone is 17 lbs so even if you just get the core game you have a lot of content and figures. I wasn't sure if it was for everyone (and it isn't!) but everyone I have shown it too loves it. I took it to Curt's place last year, figuring I would show them 1 quick game, about 6 hours later and 3 or 4 games later, Curt was hunting online for a copy. I believe 3 of the 4 that played it there are in on the kickstarter now. It is not for the feint of heart (or pocketbook) though!

      Delete
    2. It's a great game. Brutal and very adult, but a great game. I went in with both feet on the Kickstarter and have no regrets.

      Delete
    3. Damn you all... I may have to investigate this

      Delete
    4. Just what I need, more glowing recommendations when I was wavering anyway! I'm off back to the KS.....

      Delete
  7. Those are lovely. The paint job really makes them look soft and vulnerable, which is too bad seeing as they will doubtlessly have horrible ends. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great kick off and much better work on these than my go was for them! Can't wait to see more of your work on them, and I might have to have a go at them myself as well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice work. I looked at that Kickstarter, but if I remember rightly, the price (plus possible international shipping costs) was out of my budget.
    What are the odds of it going cheap on eBay in a couple of years? haha unlikely eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very unlikely... You could do like I did, go in HUGE (ie: buy 2x all expansions) and sell off all the extra's for much more than you paid. I ended up having the game, all the expansions that I wanted to keep, and about 2x the money I put into it back. It just means your out of pocket for 2+ years...

      Delete
  10. Colour? There is no colour in grim, grim Kingdom Death ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not only some great paintwork on show, but a highly tempting posting too... my wallet is already starting to groan.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent work! I really like your hint at OSL.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I keep hearing about this "Kingdom Death" thing--I love that these are the starting figures! Really nice OSL, too. I'm still very much a novice with that technique.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have no idea what Death Kingdom is. I thought these were Roman slaves revolting or some such. But they look very good. Why do they all have lanterns and bits of rock?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have just woken up from nothingness in a world of darkness and have to discover themselves and build a civilization while being preyed on by the denizens of the dark. Kingdom Death is the game.

      Delete
  15. Lovely work, I'm always impressed by how good the miniatures can be in board games now. I can't wait to see you paint up some more of these!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice work Byron. I really like the definition in the folds of the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Impressive work!

    I am giving up Kickstarter in 2017.....

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very nice, looking forwards to seeing you plough through this during the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very nice brushwork! The light effects are just right! I will look forward to more of these kingdom death!

    ReplyDelete
  20. These look great! Love the lighting and skin tones! Can't wait to see what you paint up next.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am stunned at how much great stuff you got out of bare flesh and a bit of cloth... brilliant work!

    ReplyDelete