Saturday 22 December 2018

From PeteF - Girl Power! Viking Bow Women from Bad Squiddo (20 points)


This first post of Challenge IX is a tribute to my weakness for miniatures campaigns on Kickstarter and begins to atone for the total lack of females in my Challenge VIII body of work.

Earlier this year (or was it last year?) Bad Squiddo Games  ran a Shieldmaiden Kickstarter and brought their expertise in sculpting realistically proportioned and somewhat sensibly attired women (*with the possible exception of the berserker ladies to feature in the future) to the miniature painting and gaming communities. I'm a sucker for Kickstarters - currently really suffering from indecision over the Tainted Grail miniatures - and backed the project to the tune of a full selection of Shieldmaidens. Almost enough for an all girl Viking SAGA warband.

If you're unfamiliar with Bad Squiddo I highly recommend their sculpts - great female miniatures from a variety of historical and fantasy settings as well as animals - from cats to farm animals to guinea pigs (some with guns).




I'll need to do at least one more shieldmaiden to give me my first category in the Squirrel! duel (28mm female vikings) but I wanted to get a handful of points on the board before Christmas.




For my Viking faction in SAGA I'm going for a subdued autumnal colour palette. I'll be working on better blonde hair - these ones turned out shinier and streakier than I wanted. Since these are levies bling is dialed down. Gripping Beast delivered the new Book of Battles yesterday so I'm looking forward to getting the Vikings on the game table.

Based on 25mm rounds for SAGA that are magnetised so they can be fixed into larger movement trays for massed battle games. Four 28mm models for 20 points.


___________________________________________

Beautiful brushwork Pete! I'm completely with you with Annie's quest to have a fairer, more sensible presentation of females on the tabletop. I saw these models when they first were promoted for the Kickstarter but missed out on them. Now, after seeing yours, I'm thinking I'd like to pick up a set. I really like how you've painted the textiles and leatherwork, it makes them very distinctive and 'pop' on the tabletop.

A tidy 20 points to start your Challenge this year. Great work!


15 comments:

  1. Lovely work on these feisty young ladies Pete. I like Annie’s figures a lot, and like Curt need to get some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter - I highly recommend Bad Squiddo.

      Delete
  2. An excellent rendition of some excellent minatures. I have these myself (and couldn't wait for the challenge to paint them). Great work

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice job on these, do love Annie's mission, I like a properly dressed female miniature. I also like the barely dressed ones and have lots of hasslefree as well

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice- I like the little stripes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done Peter! They certainly look as if you should think twice before messing with these fierce ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great start to the warband Peter :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These models are very cool! I need to incorporate some of the ranges of Annie in my units

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good start on some really nice miniatures, the muted palette is spot on

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great looking Vikings! Some of my Soviets from last challenge were from bad squiddo and we're really nice sculpts.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice looking minis. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nicely done, Peter! I like the red spot color and the extensive browns! I never heard of this company, but I am intrigued now! Besides Tamsin's Soviets, Im thinking I may find a few more ranges suitable for ongoing projects.
    This might be my suprise find this year. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What’s not to like about Sheild Maidens!

    ReplyDelete