Friday 4 January 2019

From PaulSS - Hundred Years War French Infantry (120 points)


Over the New Year break I've been working on some French infantry for the Hundred Years War project that shall hopefully feature heavily in my challenge entries.

All the figures are from a Perry Miniatures Agincourt French Infantry 1415-29 set that my mother in law bought me for Christmas. This is my first box of this set and already another is on order as I've cracked on so well with this one.


The first unit is a dozen crossbow-men in a blue and white livery that I have tried to vary through the unit. Several are sporting the cross of St. Denis, a typical French field sign during the era, much like the English use of the cross of St. George.


Like the earlier mounted men at arms, the figures are individually based then mounted six to a tray in the custom trays that I ordered from Warbases  meaning I can use them as single figures for Lion Rampant etc. or as units for Hail Caesar or To The Strongest!


The second unit is a dozen spearmen in a burgundy and black livery scheme, again, I've tried to vary the application of the livery through the unit. These are a mixed bag of fellows, some are very well armed and armoured while some appear to have been given an helmet and a pointy stick and shoved in the direction of the English.


A few close-up shots of some individuals.




__________________________________________________________________

Our first contestant on the first Friday Folly is none other than long-time watcher, first-time challenger, Contestant #60, PaulSS!

The sky blue and white livery is one I've always been fond of, and did for my own French noble, the Count of Tunis, AKA Constable of France, AKA King of France, and his retinue of rapscallions, cuttthroats, ne'er-do-wells, ex-Crusaders and other usurpers. 

Naturally, these folks are fine outstanding examples of French manhood. You've also painted a rather nice example of English basehood, with the bases fitting quite seemlessly into the movement trays, they really do look like a multi-figure base in that first photo.

En Avant!

Now, by my maths, arithmetic being a bit much for a statistician, two dozen crossbowmen in 28mm, by five points a figure, carry the one, add a brace of champagne (French, naturally), and I come up with, in round figures, 120 points. Which puts you at a grand total of 321, or nearly halfway to your 750 points goal. 

37 comments:

  1. Nice work! The Perry's look very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, they are a bit of a bugger to assemble, but a joy to paint.

      Delete
  2. Nicely done again Scrivs, turning into a grand army !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful work Paul. I really like the crossbowman leaning back, reloading his weapon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt, there are some great combinations that can be made from that box. I picked another one up at my FLGS on Wednesday and am currently building more including some mash-ups with the 'English Army' box to make veteran English longbows.

      Delete
  4. Very nice set of figures, and the basing system is fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please sir I wants some more! Lovely units Paul. I like the results you’re getting with those Perry sets. Tempted but remaining strong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, there are a load more in production at the moment ranging from just assembled, to just need the bases doing. Expect more in next weeks post.

      Delete
  6. Lovely looking Frenchies! Your steaming through these chaps!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, they are a pleasure to paint, hence the rate of progress.

      Delete
  7. Some lovely figures there. Inspiring me to get the clippers and cement out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very, very nice indeed Paul!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your mother in law purchased figures for you? Bloody amazing...and great painting too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg, indeed I'm a luck chap, mother in law, wife and parents still buy me figures ;)

      Delete
  10. Great looking units there. I've not had a chance to play with the Perry French plastics, but they look great

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great looking HYW troops Paul!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like how you've used varying patterns with the same colour in each unit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I was going for, 'uniform but not too uniform'

      Delete
  13. Nice minis, the livery schemes look spot on.

    ReplyDelete