Tuesday 1 January 2019

From PeterA: 28mm Reds, Sons and SEALS (110 Points)

My second entry is all about giving free reign to my inner squirrel!


First up are 10 Copplestone Castings Bolshevik infantry. I have always been attracted to the Back of Beyond setting but have never actually taken the plunge into the period. This has changed with the release of the Dunsterforce scenario book for 'Setting The East Ablaze' and so I am starting a small Bolshevik force; these are first off the rank and some command and support figures are not too far behind.








These were a joy (and relatively quick) to paint; their allegiance is signaled by the red tops to their fur hats (red stars on those wearing caps).


Next we have 10 foul traitors from the Thousand Sons Legion for WH30K. Ever since the days of Epic Space Marine, I have been a sucker for the Horus Heresy setting, so when GW released the Burning of Prospero and Betrayal at Calth boxed sets, I jumped at them. These 10 Marines are in Mark IV armour from the Betrayal at Calth set; I like the heavier, more brutal looking Mark III armour for the Vlka Fenryka. The black bases have been drybrushed grey (doesn't show up in the photos) to represent the ashen ruins of Prospero after it has been razed to the ground by the Emperor's Executioners.





Finally, the first two members of SEAL Bravo Team. They are from Spectre Miniatures and are amazing sculpts - really crisp and detailed. I had planned to do the whole team in one go but doing all that Multicam camo was too much to face. Hopefully the rest of the team will be along before the end of the Challenge! The first SEAL is a scout armed with a suppressed MP7:




Whilst the second has an FN Scar-H marksman rifle with a suppressor made from 3mm brass rod:







That should make 110 points and two more notches in the Squirrel Challenge.

Happy New Year All!


A last minute entry (considering its past my bedtime here in the UK) and an eclectic mix if ever there was one. You have been a busy lad Peter. I have a soft spot for space marines, but only when they are wearing red armour! Very nicely done sir, that's 110 points in the bag. 
Lee

22 comments:

  1. Great job Peter. Lots of cool stuff here, but I always love 30k stuff in particular!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Greg - I have often admired your 30K efforts in the past.

      Delete
  2. these are lovely. Really like the SEALs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin - the SEALS require patience but I am pleased with how they have turned out. Only 5 more to do (plus a dog!)

      Delete
  3. Nice work, the thousand sons are my favourite as I have a force of them myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jamie - unfortunately these Thousand Sons are destined to fall beneath the claws of the Vlka Fenryka (just as soon as they get painted!)

      Delete
  4. Good brush work and highly varied. I need to concentrate in one project or fail completely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sir - normally I would try to focus a bit more but this Squirrel Challenge is too good an excuse to pass up!

      Delete
  5. Nice variety of stuff - love those Bolshies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice, varied mix of figures,I really like the Bolsheviks!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some really nice stuff, but above all I like those Bolsheviks. Looks like they‘re a tough bunch ready to kick some White Russian ass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Nick - very kind of you, given the incredible standard of your painting!

      Delete
  8. Love the Bolsheviks Peter - I've always been keen on the RCW and Back of Beyond too. Would love them to battle my Friekorps in Latvia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Paul - the more I look into the period, the more interesting it becomes. I have just come across a fascinating White unit (Annenkov's Partisan Division) for them to fight; so I think more Copplestone figures lie in the future!

      Delete
  9. Great work on the Russians and the camo on the Seals. The sons are one of my favourite parts of the Heresy. Their background is quite tragic, all things considered. You've done a great job with them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oof, multicam... Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete