Friday 8 February 2019

From Eric M: Napoleonic French and Colonial Governors (225 points)

 Once again my post was delayed last week.  Its been a challenging start to the new year.  Somehow I have developed tendonitis in my painting hand, which has really slowed things down.

In the last two week I continued to work my forces for a Sharpe Practice game set in the Spanish Peninsula.  I finished another 24 figure French line unit.


The figures are all from Front Rank.  As I have said before they are well fed but really lovely scuplts.  This unit is in more of a campaign style dress without shako cords and other bling.


I still havent learned my lesson and painted the flag.   Someday I will learn

Here are some close ups of the greniadier company and the light company



And the obligatory attack column.


I made the mistake of basing them individually on 20mm squares. Most of the Sharpe Practice games I have seen base on circles.  I think if both sides are based the same it should work out.

To support the Line unit I also painted up 8 Artillery Crew.  The guns were completed years ago and have been sitting in a box waiting for crewmen


The artillery is also Front Rank.  I think I may have a made a mistake with white gaiters. Ill have to go back and read some more.  While I like all the figures, I particularly liked the raillery officer


In a change of pace, I stopped work on the Napoleonic's long enough to finish up a long over due birthday gift for a friend.   He has been a pirate lover for a long time as is closing in on completing his project.  To help out I painted up 12 28mm Old Glory figures (and a table) from their pirate range.   While the casting and sculpting quality are not top of the line. they are easy to paint. Calling this group pirates is a bit misleading.  They are really from the colonial governor set, so they are "cleaner" and less piratical than a real pirate.


I really like the seated governor and his entourage.






 Here's a close up of the more action oriented types


So my tally for the last 2 weeks is 44 28mm figures (and a table).  This week its on to the British and Spanish for the Peninsula

__________________________________________________________________

More French! I bet even the governor is French! I bet even the table is French!

At least the (comfy) chair is Spanish . . . Habsburg Spanish, to boot. Thank the Snowlord for that!

Fortunately, your artillerists sartorial splendor is not marred by inaccuracy. White gaiters are quite appropriate for French artillery. Though how long they stayed white serving a piece is a different question.

So, 44 25mm figures at 5 points a piece is  220 points, with another 2 for the table, and five for hand-painted flag silliness. 227 is respectable, though not as good as your last entry. Keep the paint grenadoes coming!

14 comments:

  1. Love the colonial governor and entourage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice work Eric. Good luck with your painting injury. IIRC the white gaiters are an option on the gunners - I've certainly painted a few up in white gaiters in the past- plus white looks better than black with the blue pants. Nice work on the colonial governor - they may actually be pirates, Morgan was governor of Jamaica after all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great painting Eric. Love the Pirate set.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The French are good, but the Governor and his cronies are excellent - real character.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done Eric. I agree, those Front Rank castings sure are pleasing to paint, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Napoleonics and the assorted gentlemen in lace and periwigs are a real treat for the eye. Well done, Eric!

    ReplyDelete
  7. really lovely work and the flag is great

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautifully painted - love the ligne.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Superb looking Nappies and that Governor set is just brilliant. I hope your hand is on the mend soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic looking French and the governor set oozes character which you have bought out wonderfully!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  11. Epic, truly epic, your colours are top notch!

    ReplyDelete