Friday 8 February 2019

From JohnS: A Plethora of Krogloggs (56 points)


I adore these goggle eyed kroglogg aliens and managed to boot several more off my lead pile and into active duty.



These chaps are labeled as "hunters" in the Astropolis line of miniatures and act as pest control aboard the enormous star cruiser that serves as their home, but in my collection they'll pressed into service as front line troops of a rebellious alien rabble. Kroglogg eyes are widely set on hammerhead shaped noggins. I assume the forward facing optical sensors on these ceremonial helmet give these particular alien soldiers binocular vision so they can act as sharpshooters for their depth perception lacking kin.

In so many science fiction series the aliens are part of a monoculture devoid of individual character. All klingons are warlike. All hutts are obese gangsters. I appreciate that many of the figures in the Astropolis line have individualistic characters woven into them through their sculpts.


This beverage sipper looks like a cranky old fart, while the mother and child are expectedly awaiting the arrival of a loved one.


Our dutiful papa is enroute, lugging his work parcels with him while this dimwitted attendant barely notices his passing. Love 'em!

I'm used to polishing off dozens of identical historical figures at a time, but these individual figures are requiring more attention to get right than I'm used to. My Painting Challenge point goal is looking increasingly overly optimistic, but I'm hoping that with just a few more individual sci fi figure to do I'll be able to drop some point bombs with mass units of uniformed figures soon.

In total these 10 figures should bump me up another 50 points.

__________________________________________________________________
 
Until now, I was unaware that ten krogloggs constituted a plethora. I have since remedied the deficiencies in my education.

You're right, the krogloggs are very individual, and quite expressive. You've done absolutely wondrous jobs on the eyes and the facial expressions of those not masked, and that deserves recognition.

So, 10 25mm kroglogs earn you 50 points, with another two for the young girl, and call it another four for the eyes. Grand total of 56 for a plethora of kroglogg!

12 comments:

  1. These guys are terrific, John. Just awesome. I particularly like the chaps in the whacky diving bell helmets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt! They've been sitting on my shelf waiting for paint for over a year. So glad the Challenge kicked me in the pants to get them done :)

      Delete
  2. Very whimsical aliens John. I love the guy with the drink and I’m with Curt on the helmets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter! If I didn't have a pile of lead to paint already I'd be off ordering more of those helmeted fellas right now.

      Delete
  3. Great looking characterful aliens,wonderfully realised!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had never heard of Kroglogs till now John, but they sure are interesting looking and very well finished, great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool. Nice result on these cool looking furry dudes. cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic, especially the eyepieces.

    ReplyDelete