Saturday 18 January 2020

From DavidB - Sarah's Balloon - Sisters of Battle (60 points)

These are the Soritas models from the limited edition set made available just before Christmas. My middle daughter Kolleen has been gaming with a fellow soldier and his Blood angel force and my Cadian 7th Cav force. She has been using my Soritas model, but she is not too fond of the green and brown and ranks of gingers therein. For Christmas she actually asked for Soritas of her own and my wife and I picked up the limited edition set for her big Christmas gift. She spent all night putting them together and pouring over the book.she even made a list of what she wishes to acquire in the future. Even more astounding is we celebrated her birthday today and she had me collect a box of saurris warriors as she wanted something to build and to her dinosaurs are really cool. I'm a bit sad as I wanted the limited edition set for myself, but then out of 4 kids who would've guessed that my girly girl beauty queen, cheerleader, basketball cross country, Honor society daughter would deign to geek out and want a force(s) of her own and war game with her dad. The others are not as keen , but still paint and write on occasion.

The new models blend really well with the old metal castings and do have some extra flair.

The colours were all dictated by Kolleen. She wanted blue grey power armor and blue surcoats with orange interior lining. She has her mother's Germanic blond looks and wanted her troops to have blonde hair with a streak of white that she inherited from me...Kolleen doesn't need the fancy hair highlights as genetics provided that bit for her.

The seraphim are the test models and the other requirement is a simple recipe for her to follow when she completes the rest.



Black undercoat highlighted with a white gloss when the black dries. Space wolves grey contrast paint over the power armor highlighted with Frostbite from P3 paints. The surcoats are painted in P3 Cygnar blue highlight the coated in leviathan blue contrast paint.P3 Arcane blue does edge highlights. The orange is Gryph hound orange Contrast paint with P3 Khador red highlight for cleanup and edge highlights. The wings are frostbite P3 with the Contrast paint Apothecary white followed by White scar white. he flesh is done by taste and the blonde hair is boot strap leather with successive lining from several light browns and tans the white streak is bleachbone. a light wash of Reiksland flesh shade ties the hair and face together. the brown leather is Contrast wildwood over P3 bootstrap leather. p3 blighted gold is used on the gold decorations with a touch of a shiny gold to add detail.

Not too shabby for a small amount a work and worth every minute to make a daughter happy. she will probably be off painting the rest of her force after I head out .

I was saving these to submit for  to O'Grady's Gulch, but I had to pass on Benito's Brook as I just stowed the Peninsular War  French Dragoons and British Infantry. I"m a big fan of Benito's Napoleonic troops and didn't want to rush them with perceived time pressure which for me is becoming not quite so perceived. Instead I will attempt to summon lady Sarah for a lift to Fran's Fjord . I do not have suitable bubbly refreshments and libations of grapes is a bit too cultured for my tastes. It is quite cold in the North this moment and I do admire the firewater for it's ability to warm the belly. When consuming Firewater it is best to consult with the Irish who have mastered  the production. This particular variety is my new favourite as it is really smooth with notes of chocolate and coffee just for being aged in a stout beer barrel. it is a wonderful addition to a mug of coffee on a cold night too!...but it is still best in a five finger glass and served at room temperature.
5 28mm seraphim for 25 points plus another 30 if lady Sarah would be kind enough to provide transport ?

***
Excellent choice on the whiskey there David, I just finished a bottle of that off with my son the other day!  If you are looking for another whiskey to try, I am not onto a bottle of Redbreast Irish whiskey that a friend suggested that I am really enjoying, it is worth checking out.

Anyway, onto your second submission of the day...

I am sure Sarah would be thrilled to provide transport for these religious freedom fighters (or fanatics depending on your view point).   Another great paint job with white, which is such a hard colour to get looking right.  I always have issues with it looking either too bland (all white) or too dirty (too much shade) but these look perfect, great work. I also really like the jump pack design on these models.

Anyway, off you go into the wild blue yonder with Lady Sarah....  Let's hope the snow lord doesn't get jealous of all the trips people are taking with his Lady!

Oh, and maybe it's the whiskey goggles talking, but with the jump packs (and other large assets these ladies bring) they look bigger than normal 28mm models, so I rounded you up to 60 points.

- ByronM


12 comments:

  1. Are you sure that flying Sisters need a balloon ride? Nice painting David :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 🎈The Balloon Service will act as a Travel Guide for the flying Sisters, and perhaps they can share the secrets of their most awesome tech🎈
      Up up and away to Frans Fjord!

      Delete
  2. Very tidy bit of work that - Kolleen is lucky to have a dad like you!
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely looking sisters!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are some very well rendered blues in this little lot- great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work David, and great that you’re gaming with your daughter. Good choice of drinks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice looking sisters and a nice way to get your daughter started into the hobby!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice indeed, they've always been lovely models and the colours work really well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fabulous entry, David. I really enjoyed reading about Kolleen wanting her own set of Soritas and dictating to you her colour preferences. Like you, I'm a big fan of P3 paints and you've done them proud with this flight of Seraphim. Really wonderful work. I lift my glass to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You should comment Kolleen on her perfect eye for colours, this scheme really rocks! I have the same box set and just bought some of the newer releases. The figures are awesome indeed! However I do not agree on the compatibility with the old range, the new ones are far larger and thus I will try to keep the squads separate. Anyway: nice painting!

    ReplyDelete