Saturday 18 January 2020

KenR - 3 x 28mm Crusader Tanks (65 points)


It's been a slow start for me this challenge, a heavy post Xmas work load taking it's toll on the more important hobby time. If only painting could pay the bills !

I knew I would have very little time this week so I needed to get an easy fix to keep my personal challenge of 3 tanks a week going, what could be easier than three plain Crusaders.


The first Crusader Tanks arrived in the Desert in May 1941 in the height of the Caunter Scheme and I have two Warlord Crusaders painted up like that. These Blitzkrieg Miniatures are a lot smaller (1/56 vs 28mm) so I wanted something different for them.


The first batch of Crusaders were only enough to equip one regiment and the next batch arrived further on in the year in time for Battleaxe. There are very few (I can only find one) pictures of these tanks in Caunter, my thinking is that batch one were painted up but the later delivery were not. It was close to the official end of the use of the scheme and there was a degree of urgency with the arrival of the Afrika Korps.


Contemporary pictures show these late 1941 tanks in plain stone colour which is how these have been painted them, the dark wave like camo being introduced in early 42.

Painting wise I have experimented with doing the washes first before building up dry brush layers and I think it has provided a bit more definition on the detail of the models.


I've gone for a 65 point total, 3 x 28mm vehicles for 60 plus a couple of half figures for the crew giving a nice round 65.

Another busy week next week so I hope to rattle off the last three Italian tanks see you soon.


***
Great looking tanks here Ken, and the photography / background is top notch as well.  I really appreciate the extra effort people put in when staging images like this, it makes the models look more alive.

Your weathering and stippling on these really bring them to life, excellent work and I can not wait to see more vehicles from you.

- ByronM

18 comments:

  1. Fabulous looking Crusaders, Ken! I think your new approach of doing washes first is a good one. It's something I regularly do as long as I can keep a tight control with the follow-on highlights. They're real beauties!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Curt, it definately changes the overall look, works nicely on the plain vehicles.

      Delete
  2. I've always had a soft spot for the Crusader and this trio look great :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic stuff Ken , I always love your Western Desert stuff. Didn’t know about the Crusaders not getting the Caunter scheme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, the early ones did definitely there are so few photos of them though.

      Delete
  4. Looking good Ken, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely little tanks! While I love the quirky caunter scheme I have to admit I also quite like these fellows in their plain livery. Has a certain no-nonsense look to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking trio of crusaders!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous looking killing machines.

    Some nice subtle, not over the top weathering too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks that's exactly what I was aiming for 😁

      Delete