Saturday 18 January 2020

From Curt: Inquisitorial Kill Team for Sarah's Balloon (25 Points)



I thought I'd mix things up a bit for my next trip on Sarah's Balloon by submitting something which is, gasp, not related to 'Mansions of Madness'. 


This time out (up?) we have a 40K Inquisitorial kill team composed of a very self assured inquisitor and her retinue of rock-hard Battle Sisters.



For the past couple of years I've been running a winter 'Dark Heresy' role playing campaign for a few of the guys and, surprisingly enough, Sarah. 



This is Inquisitor Ingrid von Bek of the Ordo Hereticus. She's a badass witch-hunter who will have a prominent role in our upcoming DH campaign. I'll give no more away, but with Sarah's character being an unsanctioned psyker things could get quite interesting. ;)


This model shows her strutting her stuff in a fancy-schmancy suit of power armour, wielding a very rare Inferno Pistol (yes, the name says it all) and sporting really fabulous hair. 

I like the gothic details on these figures like the halo and whacky smokestacks on their power packs.




The other four in von Bek's retinue are Sisters of Battle. Two are armed with Storm Bolters, one with a Heavy Bolter and the last one is a young lass with the gift of the gab, a Dialogus, an adept who is particularly persuasive with encouraging allies and haranguing enemies. I see her as Ingrid's herald, press secretary and factotum.



The Dialogus is an an older, now OOP, GW metal (love eBay), but the rest are from Wargames Exclusive, one of my favourite not-40K figure manufacturers. They are tremendously detailed castings with boatloads of character. The only downside (for me) is that they are cast in resin which makes them feel overly fragile, though to their credit they've taken several tumbles without any damage.  Anyway, to give them a little added heft I've based them using metal washers.

I hope to have another group of Sisters ready later this challenge, but we'll see how the next couple of months unfold. I'm in the midst of several big entries (well, big for me) which are absorbing a lot of my hobby time. Fingers crossed that I can get everything I want done.




Next up: 'Docherty's Dock'!

***
Wow, more amazing sisters to add to your collection.  I know this is an Inquisitorial team, but I view it more as an extension of your lovely sisters force, which is not a bad thing.

As usual your paint work and colour choices are top notch, as is your photography skills here.

While I know the Inquisitor is supposed to be the main attraction here, and is very nice in her snazy looking gold power armour, to me the Dialogus is the one I like best.  The scroll / text work you have done on her is superb and really makes that wacky old GW figure shine.  I can picture in my mind her strolling after the Inquisitor while ranting away on her loud speaker either extolling the good of the Emperor or condemming the evils of pretty much everything else in the universe as the rest of the Kill Team fullfills their name and exterminates all the heritics in the area. Simply brilliant.

Keep the great paint jobs coming!

- ByronM

26 comments:

  1. Wow! Those are fearsome looking Sisters ..... my unsanctioned psyker although naive is intrepid and will figure out something to escape unscathed.

    🎈The Balloon Service is very intrigued by the power packs and LadySarah wonders if she could re-purpose the power packs as an alternative fuel source for the Balloon, and if mileage would be improved? Mmmm ..... 🎈

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could be wrong but I have a hunch that your Mary Poppins floating umbrella may come in useful when doing filed tests with these. I'm thinking that perhaps a walking tour is in order...

      Delete
  2. Thanks very much Byron, I really like the Dialogus as well - so whacky and characterful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely work Curt, but isn't that rather bold of you to use the potential nemesis of Lady S's character as a fee for a ride in her balloon? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. It's kinda deliciously evil isn't it? ;)

      Delete
    2. Curt’s handsome and charming demeanour is all an act to cover up this sort of evil ..... but, no worries, Lady S has wiles of her own 🎈

      Delete
    3. It's true, she does. :)

      Delete
  4. Great work Curt. Love the bright reds and yellows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Peter, it's fun doing these as you can use really high-contrast, oversaturated colours.

      Delete
  5. Fantastic work dude! I feel the truth will be discovered...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dude. Yes! Discovered, bent, shot, immolated, and then ever so slightly adjusted to the Imperial Truth. :)

      Delete
  6. Love this Kill-Team! While not having done something GW related for several years I still love the lore (from before those Primaris-Hipsters came along, the Cadian Gate fell and all that other bogus) and your little team brings up fond memories of reading the Eisenhorn trilogy several years ago. Also your Inquisitoress might pull doible duty as Amberley Vail from the Ciaphas Cain series... imho the best 40k books out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Nick, I'm delighted you like them.

      Ciaphas Cain, eh? I've seen those listed on Audible. I'll have to give the first one a whirl now. Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  7. Youve done a lovely job on these Curt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous inquisitorial kill team ,love the sisters! I'd second Nick on Ciaphis Caine, a sort of flashman, humourous 40k( gasp!)
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  9. My wallet is preparing itself for pain when GW does the inevitable Kill Team/ Inquisition thing...

    Lovely stuff, and I’m keen to watch this RPG unfold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I'd squeal like a little girl if they did rules for Inquisitorial Kill Teams.

      Delete
  10. Very skilled brushwork on these GW mini's!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cracking work Curt! You are building up some serious free air miles!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice! The non-GW models really fit well. The Ciaphas Cain novels are excellent, as is absolutely anything by Aaron Dembski-Bowden if you're looking for recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jamie! Actually, I'm just now in the midst of my first Ciaphas Cain novel and quite enjoying it. I quite liked his 'Master of Mankind' and several of his short stories. We'll see how this goes.

      Delete
  13. Throne! Is there no limit to your skills oh Great Snowlord?! These are just to die for, the Wargames Exclusive backpacks are indeed very cool and I have some of their figures and head-sets lined up for later this year. Inspiring stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Sander, you're very kind. I look forward to seeing your future efforts on these - they are heaps of fun to work on and I know you'll do them proud.

      Delete