Monday 16 March 2020

From MartinN: WW2 Canadian Infantry and German KSK (55 Points)

Being ordered to stay at home for the day till the company has decided on how we field-service technicians are best and safest to proceed with our jobs in face of the virus I've taken the chance to take pictures of finished stuff. These lads have been sitting on my desk for a few days now as I haven't had found the time to finish the basing. 


In comparison to my usual basing I went for a more basic approach but I have to confess I rather like it. I wanted some WW2 Canadians for quite some time now and stumbling over a good deal over on the Lead Adventure Forum I decided it was high time I gave it a shot. Being Canadians these fine chaps are intended for service in Sicily, Italy and France/ The Low Countries, maybe even the Reich itself.


When it comes to Canadians in WW2 most gamers seem to go for generic British and use them as stand ins. If they're modeling Canadians anyway that is. A rather sensible approach really as organization and equipment was largely the same. I on the other hand, being somewhat Canadio-phil (I don't think that's a word, is it?) wanted to do it just the other way round.


The Canadian Battle Dress was generally markedly greener than its British counter part and didn't undergo the 1940 changes to the so called P40 "austerity pattern" and thus was highly coveted by other Commonwealth troops as well. That said Canadian Battle Dress like that of other nations varied greatly in both fit and colour due to different producers. Re-supply issues also meant that Canadian soldiers also often wore Battle Dress produced in other Commonwealth nations. A good primer for those interested in the Canadian Battle Dress can be found here --> www.canadiansoldiers.com


Figures used are by Crusader Miniatures and are your typical ill-proportioned wargaming miniatures. That said they're fun to paint as there's not too much small detail on the figures. In the long run I plan on expanding the force using Artizan Miniatures which should fit quite in.


Also recently completed were two German KSK (Kommando Spezialkräfte or special forces command) soldiers made by Lead Adventure Miniatures. I decided to go for Multicam instead of the more common German Flecktarn or the less often seen but more modern Multitarn.
Figures painted up nicely and I hope these are the start of a bigger foray into modern wargaming in 28mm... now I only need to decide on the theatre.


Eight Canadians and two German KSK should add another 50 points to my total. Now off to do some chores in the garden and hopefully to get on with the figures for the "Snowlords Peak Challenge".

***

Wow, Nick...as is so often the case, we peruse your fine brush work and can only up with words like "wow".  These are all just fantastic.  As a Canadian, naturally I'm biased - some tremendous work there - but your KSK guys in their camo patterns are true brush-bending mind-melters.  Just fantastic stuff.  I'm awarding five extra points because painting modern camouflage hurts your sanity. 

GregB 

10 comments:

  1. Lovely work Nick. :)

    I have to admit that Artizan and Crusader figures have been my favourits to paint in 28mm. For WW2 that is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Superb looking WW2 Canadians and modern day Germans!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like these guys a lot. Not a bad use of a day after being ordered home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is some cracking work as usual Nick! Looks like we will be covered for most things in Europe now.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm impressed by the Canadians, but the camo on the KSK is a step or three above anything I could manage - wonderful work Nick!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nick, these are magnificent. I always admire your work on skintones, particularly in relation to faces. Truly stunning and an inspiration. The green might be a little too vibrant for Canadian battledress, but it will look superb on the tabletop and, more importantly, they will be distinct from their Commonwealth cousins. I also really like your take on multicam for the KSK squadies. I may need a few of these for my Spectre Ops collection.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Goodness me, Nick, those are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Could you please let me know what colours and brands of paints you used please.
    Thank you,
    Ian Legg

    ReplyDelete
  9. Could you please let me know the brands and colours you used on the Canadians please.
    Thanks,
    Ian Legg

    ReplyDelete