Monday 21 December 2020

From MartinN: The Hall of Traps - 25 points

Beat the drums, sound the whistles fine folk! For the first time in my long and inglorious career as a participant of this most illustrious of challenges I've managed to sneak in an entry on day one. Or at least I think that's the case. Frankly I can't be bothered to actually look it up.

Now with that out of the way let us head directly for the formidable Chambers of Challenge and step directly into The Hall of Traps, shall we?


Here we find a sinister fellow called "Scope" waiting patiently for the doughty (or foolhardy?) adventurer to step into the potent sights of his Needler Sniper Rifle. Some of my fellow adventurers may recall AHPC VI back in 2016 when I presented the first six of "Schaeffer's Last Chancers". Now, since then the other six have been sitting undercoated in my mountain of shame (one day we really should do an expedition there) waiting patiently to be re-united with their comrades.


Well, it's not often I do Fantasy, or indeed SciFi as in this case, but what would be more fitting for the Hall of Traps than a sniper with a big and ugly sniper rifle? Right! Two snipers... wait... I only have the one, so you gotta be happy with what you get.


Anyway, as mentioned I don't often do SciFi, but currently reading the Ciaphas Cain novels for the umpteenth time I felt suitably inspired to get back to this long neglected project. I simply love the 40k Universe, well as long as GW don't f***k up the whole fluff again anyway (Astra Militarum? It's the Imperial Guard you Frakheads!) and now and then I feel the urge to paint a figure or two for this setting. None of those new abominations mind, but of those more vintage ones with character and soul.
Not that I was planning on ever again using the figures with one of their systems, but who knows? The figures might one day find use with some other rules. The currently under development "What A Cowboy" by TooFatLardies might be suitably tweak-able to make for a fun "Kill Teams" stand in.


OK, enough blathering for my first submission. Scope should net me a nice and tidy 25 points to start my into the Challenge.



24 comments:

  1. Gorgeous sniper! Lovely sculpt and a great finish!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice work on the camo there. Some of GW's older minis still hold up really well. I wonder how many of their current generation will go on to become classics like the Last Chancers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ask me: Exactly Zero 😉

      Delete
    2. Very nice mini: is it possible to buy it somewhere, please? What´s the name of this sniper? I´d like to try to paint him myself. Thank you very much.

      Delete
    3. OOP I'm afraid. He was/ is part of the Schaeffer's Last Chancers set by Games Workshop/ Citadel. You might be lucky and pick one up on ebay though.

      Delete
  3. Great work, that’s quite the fun he’s packing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never did manage to get the Last Chancers... he's fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant work Nick. I really like how you did the hessian net over his head. I see that your recent work on Waffen SS camo is cross pollinating nicely to 40K. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. He is extremely cool. The lens of the rifle is fantastic, as is the camo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a very nice opener. May your shame mountain continue to diminish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic work, nice "save" from the backlog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a very nice paintjob!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent cammo work, the model really stands

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that Bazooka of a sniper rifle won't leave anything but a red mist of the target and a trip to the hospital with a fractured shoulder for the sniper himself! He of course looks brilliant Nick and that lens work was spot on!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brilliant cammo; beautiful figure!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing smooth work as usual Martin! I envy your brush skills with stuff like that, very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing paintjob as always! Welcome back to the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bloody amazing Nick, great stuff. Such character in those older figures!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's a quality job on that figure, Top bombing 👍🏼

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful work on this sneaky chap

    ReplyDelete