Thursday 11 February 2021

From PeterD Adventuress' Landing (25 points)

 

The chamber says Adventurer's Landing and the Blurb references boats but I'm pushing the boundaries on both fronts.  This is a Bad Squiddo figure of a member of the Air Transport Auxiliary (ATA), female pilots who performed ferry duties bringing warbirds from factory to airfield, who's just come in for a landing.


As with all of the Bad Squiddo Women of WW2 figures its a terrific sculpt and painted up very nicely, even for someone like me with limited knowledge of WW2 flight gear.  The pose is taken from a wartime photo of the famous aviator  Maureen Dunlop.



I did a bit of research on the ATA, and it turns out that one of their bases was in Hamble-le-Rice Hampshire which is very close to my dad's place.  Dad passed away of COVID in the fall but we plan on seeing the family this summer (travel restrictions flowing) and the short ferry ride across the Hamble to the memorial will be on my to do list.








The ATA is a great story- see the links above or watch the Midsomer episode.  I make the points tally 5 for the flyer and 20 for the Chamber.


26 comments:

  1. Lovely looking flyer and nice basing, I like the picture post reference pic too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Iain and thanks very much. I am a sucker for a historical link and it was too good a photo not to include.

      Delete
  2. Great work. Love Bad Squiddo I wish she did the world War II stuff in 15mm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adam. You could always try grovelling, she does look for ideas from her public for future ranges.

      Delete
  3. Another very interesting figure from bad squiddo, nicely realised! These are the kind of jobs you don’t really think about but which are vital.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jamie. I am learn8ng things with these figures, never a bad thing.

      Delete
  4. I must say that is a bit of the stretch for the theme, but a very nice figure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt. Most of what I’m doing is nautical so I opted for another type of landing.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Cheers Dave. Good to see you back and commenting.

      Delete
  6. very nice to see these unsung heroinnes get some well painted attention!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent work Peter! I especially like the ginger hair. Well done. Funnily enough my late granddad also performed ferry duties for the Luftwaffe after having been shot done twice in FW-190's. He wasn't deemed fit for frontline duty anymore.
    Sad to hear about your loss too, my heart felt condolences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Nick. Shot down twice, not fit for active service but pressed into ferry service, that’s a hard war. We were due to visit Dad last summer but like everything else that got put on hold.

      Delete
  8. An unusual but great looking figure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done Peter!
    I think you have painted the entire range of Bad Squiddo WWII women ... ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ver6 much Sarah. There’s a lot of this range that I haven’t got but I did get in on a Kickstarter that was delivered last summer.

      Delete
  10. Great job Peter, love the match with the photo 📷
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Ken. I really love the respect for the history that the range shows and the links to period pictures are all part of that.

      Delete
  11. A very fine paintjob, great background story and love to see the photo as well. My deepest sympathy for your loss, hopefully you will be able to travel soon!

    ReplyDelete