Wednesday 24 February 2021

From SimonG: 28mm HYW Baggage Train for the Snowlord's Treasury (75 points)

As my offering in the Snowlord's Treasury I present an Impetus baggage train stand as part of my Hundred Years War project. Nominally this is the English train but there is nothing to make it specifically so and it could be swapped with my similar French stand completed earlier this year.





Overall it's a small vignette comprising Perry metals (the mounted rich gentleman), Front Rank (the carts, horses and attendants) and Wargames Foundry (the other two standing figures). WF are notably smaller in scale than the others but still within the range of human stature for a vignette like this.







What I like about this is how well the different personalities came across. From the imperious treasurer himself to the quartermaster checking off the delivery (and no doubt benefiting from some kick backs if his ermine hat and gold rings are anything to go by). I see the other guy behind him as his bodyguard.





Technically it was mostly straightforward if a lot to work with in an enclosed space and a lot to assemble (for me). I liked adding rope ties to the wooden traces to the large cart -- these are simple thread knots superglued over at the end -- synthetic button thread is great stuff to work with and behaves very well with superglue, drying quickly and easy to trim. I added this right at the end and gave it a quick stain for colour.

There are lots of other hidden details that might be actually impossible to see now it's all assembled -- especially the gold rings on the two wealthy figures (a black line with a gold line within it, much easier than trying to outline a gold line, duh!). I also deviated from my usual basing by adding the muddy track but that seemed to suit the vignette.




Anyway I think that's about 75 points -- 20 for the challenge, 15 for three 28mm foot, 20 for two 28mm mounted and lets count the two carts as one 28mm vehicle for a final 20. Onwards to the Lair of the Great Beast and I have something substantial on the go for that!

---------

A lovely job indeed Simon! The posing is spot on and really brings them all together. Take a 5 point bonus

Cap'n Wednesday

18 comments:

  1. Ooh, that looks just fantastic Simon, well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt, it should look good on the tabletop and make a nice backstop for the English army

      Delete
  2. Superb vignette! I do like baggage trains and this one is ace!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. Important to keep all those fighters fed and paid, plus o need these for my Battle of the Herrings re-enactment 🐟

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Ray -- it's missing a few stray dogs in my opinion, I need to have a few in my stash for future use!

      Delete
  4. Awesome baggage train, really impressive posing, basing and painting..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Peter -- mostly down to some great figures I had to work with

      Delete
  5. That's a lovely piece, and the characters do come through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barks, WF is of course Perry as well but good to be able to blend multiple designers in one piece like this

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Really appreciated, thanks for the positive feedback!

      Delete
  7. Just beautiful! Great composition, loads of interest and wonderfully painted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Millsy -- I should have spent more time on the photos as there's even more detail I haven't been able to bring out -- miniature photography is quite a tricky skill that Im still working on!

      Delete
  8. Base, composition, colours... what's not to like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, regarding the colours I thought a lot about making clear contrasts between rich and poor and then making each of the two wealthy characters have a colour theme, the poorer wretches being more “thrown together” 😆

      Delete
  9. I've just bought some of these myself, you've done a great job on them 👍
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ken, they came together quite well, some of the parts fit better one way round rather than the other so do try them each way plus the traces are a bit plain so need some dressing up

      Delete