Thursday 13 January 2022

From ChrisK: French Army 1940 (Caprica)(145pts)

 Bonjour, tous le monde!


I was delighted to be accepted back to the AHPC this year, alongside (and in friendly competition with) my fellow painters from Wargames, Soldiers and Strategy Magazine. I'm aiming for 650 points, and my general plan is to try to get most - if not all - of the way there with the early-WW2 French force I'm assembling for the magazine's in-house Battle of France campaign using Bolt Action rules in 28mm. 

For my first entry, I offer one Lieutenant and two infantry sections, each of 12 men: 


They're painted using mostly Citadel Contrast Paints on all surfaces save the gunmetal and the helmets, and if you look super-carefully, you might just notice that one of the soldats has dark breeches: this is because since finishing them last week, I have transferred that particular fellow to a different section, who are wearing the more fancy pants. But more on them anon. Below are some slightly different angles of the men, including a closer shot of the rear view, and a couple more of the nonchalant officer. 




( - sorry his back is out of focus: I'll take more deliberate pics next time.)

Obviously, as soon as I saw that Caprica was an option for a jumping-off point, I realised it simply had to be the plac for me: nothing says 'doomed' quite so well as the conscripted infantry of the hapless French army of Summer 1940, right? Right?

MODELS:

The officer model here is by Warlord Games (metal); the infantrymen are from Wargames Atlantic (plastic).

POINTS: 

By my calculations, then, my claim is for 

25 x 28mm infantry figures for 125pts, and 

a bonus Caprican claim of 20pts for a total of 145pts...

...and thank you so much for having me back!

- ChrisK

Welcome back! I'm impressed by the natural colours you've achieved with Contrast. Are these raw from the pot, diluted with medium, or mixed tones? What colour undercoat did you use? Good luck in achieving your goal!

Barks

14 comments:

  1. Great looking units, Contrast paints seem to work very fine on these fellows! I like the officer as well, nice character.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Everyone!

    Barks, thanks for your support. Forgive me - I should've said: the main uniform cloth is a blend of two paints, 5:3 Darkoath Flesh:Militarum Green; everything else is straight from the pot.

    And because my normal inclination is toward dark figures, I've decided to use a white rattlecan basecoat for these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It gives a great khaki I shall have to try.

      Delete
  3. Great painting subject Chris, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent. I have the same officer with my FFL in North Africa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Chris:
    Always a pleasure to see the French in miniature, a much maligned army. The uniforms are spot on and the officer is full of Gallic attitude. Well done.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done Chris, that first miniature reminded me of the old TV show Allo Allo ! 😁 lovely figs

    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your use of Contrast pints is inspiring!

    ReplyDelete