Thursday 20 January 2022

From Nick: 20mm Soviet Sappers and Casualties (50 points)

As many others here, I‘m sure, I‘m a completist. When there’s a option in the force list, no matter how obscure, my brain goes into overdrive and I‘m off to look where to source that particular option from. Luckily enough since my switch to 20mm with my WW2 painting I‘m generally spoilt for choice. But there are still a few things I can‘t find or not in a configuration/ style I like.
That’s where 3D printing really comes in handy. Chance is someone out there has the files for what you’re looking for. Same with these Soviet Sappers/ Engineers. 


Figures are originally 28mm files from mr3DPrint available on wargaming3d.com. I scaled them down to match my AB miniatures and surprisingly enough it worked rather well. Some of the equipment is admittedly a little flimsy and some minor bits broke off as I‘m rather ham fisted at the best of times. But still I quite like them a lot and they painted up nicely. Should maybe get me a resin that’s a little less brittle nonetheless.



Helmets/ heads and hands are somewhat on the larger side, especially when compared with their AB brethren directly, but not more than usual with wargaming miniatures. I’m still quite surprised by the quality my cheapish 1st generation Anycubic Photon is capable of. Good enough for any wargaming miniatures I‘d say.




Next we have a batch of 10 Soviet casualty markers by AB Figures. A little macabre maybe but I love casualty markers. I tried to make the skin look more corpse like and like to think it worked out surprisingly well.



Points wise this submission consists of:
5x Figures upright/ kneeling = 20 points
12x Figures prone= 28 points
Total: 44 points

Lovely work and some good action poses on these sappers, Nick. I think casualty figures are an important part of a game's tabletop appearance. I'm not in love with half-points for prone so will round up to 50 points.

Barks

22 comments:

  1. Outstanding painting; such smooth transitions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing work as always Nick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cracking work Nick! Really nice looking prints as well. Downscaling seems to have worked pretty nicely with nice clear details still

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Samuli. Indeed it did surprisingly well. Also printed a few down scaled Komsomolets tractors last challenge. Did work equally well.

      Delete
  4. Great work Nick, really impressive results from those prints

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful brushwork once again Nick!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Superb , and different pieces too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Superb work, Nick! :)

    And many thanks for the link to the STL files - I'll have a look through and see if there are any I might need! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin! I try to give credits wherever possible nowadays. Especially the smaller companies in our hobby may well need it.

      Delete
  8. Splendid looking Soviets, gorgeous painting, I'm starting to do casualty figures too,but not quite at this scale!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your stuff is always lovely Nick. Love those sappers and the verdant basework

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very beautiful, I could say lively, but I say that some other time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Nick:
    Your brushwork is first rate and good to see combat engineers in action, lovely. That’s a great line of WW2 files. Reducing the UV cure time might help reduce the brittleness?
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike. I actually haven’t thought about reducing the curing time for these. Might try next time. Thanks for the hint

      Delete
  12. Wonderful attention to detail and fantastic brushwork!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are absolutely lovely - top notch highlighting as always! And making sure you have one of every option that you could possibly take, even if you probably won’t? I absolutely resemble that comment!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Simply amazing work Nick, excellent smooth brush strokes that most of us can only dream of producing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well that 3d printer is working out very well indeed for you Nick and the painting is of course fantastic!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great painting. Those prints really turned out well.

    ReplyDelete