Friday 18 March 2022

From Barks: Grimdark statues (40 points)

I really like these grimdark statues. They are imposing, but after more than a cursory glance you can see they are battle-damaged facades held up by rusting arcane machinery. It's almost like an analogy!

Battle Sister for scale

These were a white undercoat, sloshed with Contrast Apothecary White and then the marbling sketched on with Contrast Basilicanum Grey. Contrast Skeleton Horde to the recesses stops them being monochrome. The rust is Army Painter Rough Iron, a crude drybrush of bright orange, and a liberal application of Woodland Scenics Burnt Umber.




Are they scenery (7" x 4" x 2" = 5 points) or 2x 150mm figures? Let's get a minion to decide!

More importantly, they are skulltastic, each sporting nine skullz and propelling my skull tally to 106.

Slowpainter's ABC: S is for Statues

And that is it for my entries this Challenge!

Barks

From Millsy:

Oh man, I want some of these Barks! I can't believe I've not seen these before and now I'm going to have to add them to my want list.

I really love the light marble colouring and feathered pattern you have applied to these mate. I think these kind of trompe l'oeil effects are some of the hardest to pull off and can easily go wrong. Not so here, they are totally convincing and I've just noted your method for future reference.

They sit halfway between minis and terrain so I've scored them as 20 points each.

Congrats on another cracking Challenge!

22 comments:

  1. Great work on these statues, marbling effect is wonderful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't take too long once you get underway.

      Delete
  2. oh wow, I LOVE these! Great work Barks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice statues, Barks! I have similar, but smaller.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to get some of those smaller ones.

      Delete
  4. Really nice statues, love the stone work colour that you’ve achieved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful stonework on these statues and another great challenge JB - some lovely (and skully) submissions alongside your valued minioning work. See you next Challenge and hopefully in person before then mate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love these! You did a marvellous job with them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, I need a set of these... Love the marbling effect. Well done Mr. Barks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Curt! Grimdark is as much about the scenery as the figures.

      Delete
  8. Awesome grim dark statues!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your weathering and textuires of these statues are brilliant Barks!

    ReplyDelete