Thursday 10 March 2022

From SamuliS: Za Rodinu (202 points)

Back to what has probably been my most common subject for all the challenges I've taken part in with Flames of War miniatures. I almost got there already with all the Team Yankee stuff, but now to the proper era with some WW2 tanks and infantry!


We had our clubs annual Flames of War tournament which also somewhat doubles as the Finnish Nationals and as usual I just couldn't go there with an existing army, but rather used it as an excuse to paint up some missing units to add to my armies. I've generally played tank armies with Soviets so was lacking on some stationary guns and infantry and also wanted to add some missing tank units to my collection. Hence I came up with an infantry list with some heavy armor to support it in the form of IS-85s and some captured Panthers. As usual these were finished just in time for the tournament with the basing done in the final night before the games.

I did all the tanks with the fairly heavy modulation technique that I've liked to use especially on monotone vehicles to make the flat surfaces pop a bit more.  The bright airbrushed surfaces were then toned down quite heavily with several layers of filters and washes and with a final streaking layer to add in extra variety. I also wanted to do all the Panthers in different colours to really make the unit look a bit gobbled together with some recent acquisitions and some that the crews have had time to paint into more suitable Soviet colours.


 
 
 
 
The infantry section needed a few extra stands to allow me to field 3 companies of infantry in the list. I also added a couple of heavy 120mm mortars to add extra firepower as well as 57mm antitank guns to provide stationary firesupport for the infantry and help them buy time for the reinforcements to arrive.
 




This time around there are 55 foot figures, 7 guns and 8 tanks netting me an extra 202 points to add to my tally.

Lovely colour modulation and basing on these, Samuli. I hope your German opponents spluttered indignantly as Panthers were used against them!

How did your freshly-painted troops fare in the tournament?

Barks

14 comments:

  1. Thanks Barks! My freshly painted troops actually landed me my worst position at the tournament ever :D Having finished on the podium for all the previous years I ended up fourth. Though the hangover I had on the second day might have had more to do with my drop in standings from second to fourth than the troops themselves :D

    But at least I can confirm that the acptured Panthers were instrumental in crushing two German armies in the tournament! Several burning Tigers and Jagdpanzer IV's were left behind on the battlefield

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a tradition that the newest painted units fail epically on their first appearance

      Delete
  2. Good looking army, Samuli. I just received a message, that my Soviet Starter Force - Heavy Assault Group has arrived to the local post office... I have painted couple of DAK vehicles recently, mostly because I like them and I like this scale, when two of friends told they are starting up FoW and Late War. They are painting their Germans and US army, so there was a little choice for me to take. Of course there were others, but I decided that when making the first encounter with the game, let's pick something relatively straight forward (to hobby and paint). We'll see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That box is a great starter! Though maybe not the most typical Soviet army, but still a fun type of army to play with!

      Delete
  3. Fantastic painting. Love your technique on the tanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking Soviets, captured panthers, who knew that was a thing!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great fun with captured vehicles. Likely took them right off the railhead. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent work, love the idea of the captured Panthers

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice Samuli! Good to read I’m not the only one working furiously the night before I need to have something ready!

    ReplyDelete
  8. those are really well painted thanks for sharing Samuli

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent work, Samuli! Those captured Panthers are a nice unusual touch, I never even knew they existed. Well done!

    ReplyDelete