Monday 12 December 2022

RayR - AHPC XIII - Hobby Desk and Painting Plans

 


Looks like I'm a winner already? I can claim the "Most Messy Painting Desk in the Challenge"
I did plan a clean up, but couldn't be arsed in the end. I'll only make more mess anyway.

For those of you who don't know me, I'm Ray and this will be my 12th Challenge. I like you guys look forward to the Challenge each year and have been busy cleaning and undercoating figures for a while now.
I will of course be painting up figures for Donnybrook, which as you all well know I'm quite partial to.
There'll be figures for Vienna 1683 and a smattering of other stuff to. The Haitian Revolution will again make a appearance. Not that I really need anymore Donnybrook or Haitian Revolution figures???

But I shall be starting a new period and scale, shock horror???


It's all Reject Richard's fault, he's painted up some great figures for the French Wars of Religion in 2mm. So he made me buy some, I was going to get armies for one of the larger Nine Years Wars battles like Neerwinden or Steenkirque, but instead chose to go for a battle during the War of the Spanish Succession. Postie the Evil Warlord of Posties Rejects already has figures for the Battle of Blenheim, so I chose another theatre. Spain.


More specifically the Battle of Almansa 1707
For the Allies the British, Dutch and Portuguese there are 42 infantry regiments and 55 Cavalry squadrons. For the French and Spanish there are 52 Infantry regts and 76 squadron of cavalry. So I'm gonna be a busy boy!!!
The figures were calling to me in my sleep "Paint me, paint me", so I had a little practice as to how to paint them up, coached by Reject Richard. 
Here we have 2 regt of Dutch Infantry Torsay and Kepplefox, each regt has 240 figures!!!


And here we have 2 squadrons of the Portuguese Cavalry regt Naronja, each has 24 figures.
I've not yet decided how I'm going to decorate the bases, so I need to play around a little more.
These troops of course will not count as points in the Challenge, but I will post them up, with the other regts in their brigades.

Why 2mm you ask?
Well that's an easy question to answer.

Big Battles
I could never to Almansa in any other scale, if I did it would be scaled down so much, it would have nothing in common with the actual battle. Using 2mm, I could comfortably play the whole battle on a 8 foot board, 6 foot if you squash it up.

Cost (very important)
In 6mm a 240 man regt would cost you approx £20
In 15mm a 240 man regt would cost approx £135
in 25mm it would coast a staggering £443
In 2mm it costs 99p!
Yep 99p and that's with a few stands left over for the next regt as well!!!

Some gamers say, you might as well use counters? But that's what any figure you buy is, they'e all just counters.
Now I must admit, they are bloody small and are a bit of a bugger to see, so get yourself a pair of these badboys!


You too can look as cool as me?



39 comments:

  1. That is a very pragmatic view. I tend to agree that the smaller the scale the better it looks as a grand battle, nevertheless I still like 28mm because my aged eyes can see them. So for same reason I gravitated to small actions because they suit the scale better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear you agree Geoff. I will still buy 28mm figures, but only to compliment the ranges I already have. I just wish I'd have found 2mm figures before, I'd always past them off as too small to bother with. Not now!

      Delete
  2. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your Donnybrook and Haiti projects. I think I need better glasses to see those 2mm minis though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He made you buy some - oh yeah right … 😂😂😂. Look forward to seeing what ya got Ray

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He forced my arm up behind my back Dave, it really hurt, so I had to give in and buy some.

      Delete
  4. Looking forward to seeing what you paint, and how you shoot yourself in the foot Ray! And no I can never look as cool as you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Peter you will never look as cool as me, just take it on the chin. At least I won't delete any of your posts in this Challenge..........or will i????

      Delete
  5. Some great and interesting plans, Ray! I look forward to more Haitians, and the Almansa project looks very promising indeed (although for the life of me I can't imagine the Dutch names hiding behind your intriguing Torsay and Kepplefox?). And rest assured: none will look as cool as you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two great Dutch names, they're probably an Anglo-sized version as they couldn't spell or say the original names?

      Delete
  6. 6mm is trendy these days, but haven't been infected by the virus (...yet?) Good to see you around once again this year. Happy Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  7. 2mm, you blithering idiot.good luck on that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HaHa, you'll have some soon Martin, I don't doubt it at all.

      Delete
  8. Phew! When you said to get "a pair of these bad boys" I had the horrible thought that you were going to post *that* photo, not that they'd be any help in painting 2mm figures but simply because it would have us reaching for the bottle of Millsbegone mind-bleach! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That photo has been banned Tamsin, but I do have several copies laying around......what's your address?

      Delete
    2. I'd be quiet Dave, I have your address already!!

      Delete
  9. It's all someone else's fault! Those are the best projects :) Looking forward to following this one Ray!

    ReplyDelete
  10. 2mm! I was gonna say you are gonna need some magnification to assist! Looking forward to seeing them impressively en masses.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looking forward to seeing how the 2mm carries on. Happy you are back so I’m not the only one chastised for format when submitting drafts. Cheers Ray

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Perhaps we need to start our own painting Challenge Bruce? Or we could have a new Side-Challenge for us Bad Boys only?

      Delete
  12. Those specs look quite slimming on you, Ray. Very noice indeed.

    I love that you've been converted to the small scale camp. Those test bases look brilliant and I very much look forward to seeing your progress with the rest of the OB. Bring it on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Curt, I can't wait to get started to be honest!

      Delete
  13. A very interesting plan.

    I myself am tempted by Khurasan Miniatures’s natty 15mm line for BLB. I’m not daft enough to go with 240 figures, but will probably go with something more than the 6 and 18 figure regiments they recommend in 28mm. Care to share your Spanish sources? I’m leaning more toward Italy, but could be persuaded to do Spain, especially given the more colorful Spanish units there.

    Looking forward to this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. The Khurasan figures are beautiful models and will make great looking units. For my 15mm Essex figures, I did 18 musket, 3 bases of 6 figures and 1 base of pikemen, half the depth of the other bases, this sits behind the centre command stand. You won't need them if you decide on painting up the WSS, most pike was gone by then. This is my main source for Almansa.
      http://kronoskaf.com/wss/index.php?title=1707-04-25_%E2%80%93_Battle_of_Almansa
      as well as a few others.

      Delete
  14. I'm not worried about the state of the desk Ray but you need to change the painting water in that cup, it looks a bit brown:-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looking forward to seeing your 2mm goodies hitting the table.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looking forward to your completed kit mate

    Cheers
    MattW

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad you’re joining us again Ray. 2mm eh? I need to get on that bandwagon and pick up some of those very slick glasses…

    ReplyDelete