Friday 29 December 2023

From TomL: Modern Civilians, Overdue and Returns (75 points )

I am another long time watcher who decided to join this year. For various reasons I have painted very little the last few years so I am hoping to reverse that trend with the AHPC this year. First entry for me is at the Overdue & Returns desk.

Purchased long ago from a LAF posting for a doomed pulp project around 2010, these are 28mm  “Unarmed Civilians” originally from Akuna miniatures. Most of these sculpts are now with Crooked Dice. These are painted mostly with contrast paints except where I hated the coverage and repainted it with Foundry paints (first figure). Originally primed black, I experimented with a heavy drybrush of white as opposed to priming again with white. Not 100% sure that was a good idea for some colors but overall I am happy.






These figures have a lot of character. I think the Box guy & Mr Cargo pants are my favorite.




Having cleared this group from their long wait, I will jump on the library cart and head over to History to save the final remnants of my canceled Sudan project .  Accompanying me will be a 28 mm Bob Murch Daughters of the Empire figure (PHP-22).




For scoring, I have:

7x28mm minis = 35 points
Overdue & Returns = 20 points
Library Cart = 20 points
Total = 75 Points
 

 ______________________________________

It's wonderful to have you with us this year, Tom! Welcome aboard!

These are great looking civilians. I too quite like Mr. Cargo Pants and Box Boy, though The Photographer is excellent as well. I love Bob Murch's stuff and this Daughter of the Empire does no dissappoint. You've done her proud. I like the yellow sun hat and her burgundy vest. Yeah, I find Contrast Paints seem to work to their strength on small areas, or with figures that have a lot of texture, in order to allow of their 'wash' quality to do its thing, otherwise I find I'm in for a few streaky coats, hoping for the best. Nevertheless, these look the business - well done!

- Curt

19 comments:

  1. Welcome Tom, nice work. I’m sure that I’ve had conversations with Mr Cargo pants

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These figures have such unique & realistic faces I wonder if they are supposed to represent people they knew.

      Delete
  2. Those are very nicely done Tom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to have you in the Challenge, Tom! Those are fine miniatures. Some of the Contrast colours are great, but some not. There was a recent WSS article about them and some general points which are good and which are not, but I can't remember details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen a few articles & you-tube reviews on the various contrast releases - usually after I purchased them. Even the weak ones can be used as a filter or highlight but that was not their intended function. I tend to buy paints like I buy figures, on impulse.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely work Tom, I really like Bob Murch’s stuff too. I hope the challenge helps you get back to painting more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely my hope as well. Pulp figures will certainly make more appearances.

      Delete
  6. A great first entry. The civvies look really good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent Tom, you always need a good selection of victims, oops sorry civilians 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your right Ken. Victims, meat shields, obstacles or recruits depending on the game.

      Delete
  8. I love these they are so cool, great job

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great looking civilians. They will add a lot of flavour to your game table.

    ReplyDelete