Wednesday 10 January 2024

From JP - From Highland to Lowland (75 Points)

So, I finished the last 6 Gordons for the Northwest Frontier, they were a bit easier as I focused on the feel rather than detail for the tartans. Thank you all for the advice, mucho appreciated.

If you're wondering why I painted 11 Gordons, it's because the piper will be purloined to accompany the army CinC.




As I sat there getting ready to paint Pathans next, my sights fell on a wooden box holding STL resin figures, a gift from my son-in-law at Christmas for my Border Reiver project. They are  by Flags of War and though I prefer metals, the temptation to assemble some of these was stronger than my willpower could resist... so many options to create with these fellows!

So... from Pathans to Borderers... hmmm






Points - trying to get this one right...

10 x 28mm figures    50 points
New Acquisitions      20 points

Total                          70 points

So, that's about it for now!
 
***
More NWF goodness, wearing kilts, no less! Excellent brushwork here once more JP. Reading your submission, I am certain many Challengers will a) appreciate the brushwork on those fantastic highlanders, and b) sympathize with your stated preference for metal figures, even as the 3D printed options continue to improve by leaps and bounds and c) recognize that "squirrel" feeling of suddenly hopping to another project!


You absolutely nailed the scoring, but I will arbitrarily add five bonus points because I love highlanders, and you should have some extra pay-off after the Tartan Torture getting that lot finished.

GregB

20 comments:

  1. Very nice highlanders! And the lowlanders look nicely varied, great brushwork on both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the Highlanders they look so good

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice work, I think you did a great job on the tartan for the Highlanders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It may be a while before I challenge the kilties with a brush again.

      Delete
  4. Thank you Greg - I have enjoyed the self inflicted torture :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely smashing work mate. Anyone who can paint convincing tartan gets my vote. Love the Borderers too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Highlanders and super work on those Flags of War figs 👍

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a smashing group of militant Scots (not something you'd hear in England much, I'd wager). :) Seriously, wonderful brushwork JP - well done. I kind of like the 'tubby' Reivers (they must be very successful).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tubby is an understatement... as someone said a century later "well provisioned and watered he could withstand a siege". Thanks!

      Delete
  8. Fantastic work. Tartan's absolutely deserve more points!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great Gordon’s and mix of figures. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really nice entry JP - its good to see the Flags of war reviers - good job and love the kilts

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those Gordons look just as good as the first batch, and the border reivers are quite awesome too. Great painting!

    ReplyDelete