Saturday 2 March 2024

From MattW: Hairy Germanics (255 points)

 After 80 days on Holiday in Australia in the sun I have returned to France and based up some of the figures I completed whilst being away. I had a small shopping spree at Cancon Australias largest Wargames convention around 25 thousand people over 4 days playing tabletop games plus general public. It was great to catch up with a few of the mates, look at some great looking tables and games and help my unpainted pile grow a little where I clocked the business class baggage allowance by


2kg…..! 

AHPC Aussie “bad batch” with my first purchase French guard cavalry 

I brought these Germanics with me on holidays in Oz, where they travelled the east coast for 1300klm, every  now and then I managed to get quite a few painted when there was wet weather or we were not visiting friends. I failed in my planning bring enough transfers to complete all of the painted ones. So now ordered and hopefully they will arrive some time this week. 

The figures are a mix of Warlord Germanics, Foundry Germanics and some hand painted and decal shields. 

28mm Warband One





28mm warband two




Archer unit one 



Archer unit two


Slinger unit one


Slinger two


Slinger three 



28mm Warband 16 figures 
28mm Warband 15 figures 
28mm Archers 4 figures 
28mm Archers 4 figures 
28mm Slingers 4 figures
28mm Slingers 4 figures
28mm Slingers  4 figures 
Total Fifty One 28mm miniatures @ 5 points 

255 Total points 

Cheers
Matt

"80 days on Holiday..." - that's not a holiday mate, that's temporary retirement. But good on you for taking some painting along to help fill in the time. Great looking models here Matt, as you know I have a certain affinity for hairy German tribesmen having painted a bunch for this Challenge myself. Yours look great - it's always a challenge with warbands to maintain some individuality to the models while keeping cohesion in the "look" - and you've done a great job at that. I also like your idea with the wicker shields and the runic insignia, they look super too. Makes me want to get back at my own tribesmen!

255 points for you!

Dallas

22 comments:

  1. That’s a ferocious bunch of barbarians, especially the motley gang in the blue shirts. Those Foundry are a bit OTT so the muted colours work well with them. Love the basing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought warlords weird leaning over pose was a pain to paint and base when I built my Dacian forces. You did a great job on these German barbarians.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes a bit of work, I chop arms and add green stuff to straighten a lot of them as most seem to be leaning

      Delete
  3. Ah, toy soldiers, historically overloading baggage since planes were invented. Some great looking warbands here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I blame the euro strength against the Aussie dollar, I had to leave some bits in Oz….. mostly board games

      Delete
  4. Great work Matt! Really jealous of your 80days of holiday! Sounds like a great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes a very long visit we normally only holiday for six weeeks over Christmas

      Delete
  5. Very nice hairy men; also good painted miniatures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely work on these barbarians Matt and great pic of you guys at Cancon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes’s, I think only three Aussies missing from the pics

      Delete
  7. Great work on these barbarians. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've painted all these fella myself, you've done a great job Matt a nice amount of points to boot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were one of my projects in last years challenge, this year I hope to complete all of the foot, then perhaps the cavalry

      Delete
  9. that title and first picture are very confusing indeed! But the real barbarians are really well done!

    ReplyDelete