Monday 26 January 2015

From BurkhardS - Warzone Resurrection Imperial Hurricane Walkers (50 Points)

So as promised last week, I am finally going to keep up with new entries for the competition.

And continuing with my Imperial forces for Warzone Resurrection, here are two of their light walkers known as Hurricane Walkers. Now the Walkers themselves (minus the Gun Nests were done last weekend, but the bases and Gun Nests (and the Minotaurus from yesterdays theme round) took another week. The main time drain was the water on the one base which took ages to cast, followed by the gun nests. The later essentially contain there full models, but cast as one, which makes the details somewhat hard and time-consuming to paint. But here are the models.

Now I bought myself two models of these. That is... I did so even though I knew that in all likelihood I would only ever get to play one at any time. Under the OOB my group seems to prefer I am allowed only one light vehicles and these walkers always operate in units of one. But I wanted to see where I could actually take these models so I bought two. Usually those models come with a huge biohazard symbol on they right shoulder, but I felt this was over the top (even though they are fitted with poison gas cannons) and scratched that off. At first I had wanted to paint some freehand there, but I had to find that my skills with freehand have not gotten any better, so they will probably receive some custom decals in the future. But right now I still wanted to paint those areas and with something that could serve as a background for the decals later so I went with Tartan patterns. Since my unit is modeled on a SciFi version of the Black Watch, I picked wo patterns that can be associated with the unit. One got a Government pattern (the units pattern) and the other gor a Stuart pattern (like is was worn by the pipers during for example the Napoleonic Wars).



So up first is "Stuart" which is being depicted at a full charge to wards the enemy lines, dragging some barbed wire defenses through the mud. As one might see, the standard armament is a huge rotary HMG in one arm and a gas cannon in the other. On the back here you see the Radiative Dome. 



Personally I find the Radioactive quite redundant in game terms. It has a huge range (large enough to effect virtually the whole table in most games) and it does not distinguish between friend or foe. To make matters worse, the Hurricane Walker is not allowed to do anything else the turn it uses the dome, wasting all those other nice weapons. But the model comes with the Dome as the standard load out, so I had them and wanted to paint them.


Is there another option? Yes, there is! The Gun Nest. Essentially it is a place for the infantry to ride on the Walkers back, adding their own firepower to its arsenal. And while the range is not as good as that of the main gun, they add a hefty amount of firepower.




I magnetized both the Domes and Nests, so they can be switched around. The parts are actually a good fit, sone I could have done without, but I did not want anything to go flying, if I ever forgot, so better safe than sorry!


And before we move on... here is a detail shot of it dragging the barbed wire along.


Up next is "Government". I wanted him to stand in a huge shell crater with one foot, which was supposed to be somewhat submerged in muddy waters. This gave me some problems, since this was the largest body of water I ever did with Vallejos Still Water. I wanted to lowest layers to look a bit milky , but overdid it a bit, so one can not see through them anymore (which also hides a Bauhaus helmet in the water). The other problems were, that the water somehow drew the masking tape I used as a boundary in, creating a somewhat wavy boundary. And last but not lest, the lower layers had crept up the masking tape preventing the viewer from looking into the water from the side. So I eventually painted the edge over in black. So not quite the effect I wanted, but it can not be helped now.





Otherwise he features the same load out as "Stuart" with both optional Radioactive Dome and Guns Nest.






A word on the paint job here. I wanted these to have a WWI feel and look slightly worn. My first idea was to paint them in a dark brown or dark green, but that would have prevented me from doing chipped paint. So I looked further or rather to WWII. There is a Grant tank at Covington Which features a sand base with green camo edged in white. That is what I went for in the end. Although I went for a light green, to make the camo sublime. After the chipping, they both got two coats of filters to bend it all together. All in all I am very happy with the final looks.



So now I am going to leave you with two group shots in either load out.





20 comments:

  1. They are very cool; I think the puddle looks great and doesn't detract from the great painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting big models and nice painting. Really good job on the bases. A lot of extra effort. cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. great. I'd decided to not base my Grizzly Walker, now I'm a little embarrassed as yours are great and really set off the paint job

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are great I like them both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all guys! Glad you like them... especially the bases!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are brilliant, love the barbed wire being dragged along

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are very cool. I love the extra details in the bases.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice! The extra work on the bases really paid off!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice painting work!!! I like a lot the bases.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not really a big fan of Warzone but these walkers do look pretty darn tough. The basing came out great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow - this Warzone stuff is really something else. How neat - and great painting work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you all a lot! Really happy these are going down so well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Some seriously awesome work here. You're making this game look very appealing. The basing detail is fantastic. Even though the puddle didn't turn out how you envisioned, I like the final results--it looks like the worst sort of polluted water, all sludgy and toxic. Which, considering you've got suits of power armor running around with poison gas dispensers on their arms, seems completely believable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I personally feel that the game is also appealing for the rules. I played the first and second Editions, which is why I jumped in on the Kickstarter. Always told myself, that I would go for the 2nd Ed rules or something generic like Future Wars if I did not like the rules. But they turned out so fine, that I keep on playing the Resurrection version of the rules.

      Delete
    2. Oh and thanks for the comment about the crater... yes a polluted look was what I aimed for! Just hoped the results would have been a little closer to my imagination ;-)

      Delete
  14. Wowsers, they are awesome Burkhard! You've really produced something special here mate from the top to the bottom.

    ReplyDelete