Friday 20 March 2015

From Millsy - A Giant Hand Job plus extras (115 points)

I was tempted to title my last post for 2014-15 "Happy Ending" but it seemed a little crass so I went with "A Giant Hand Job" instead and which is much more tasteful I think you'll agree... :-)

The point of the title is the war engine in part one of this submission - a catapult and crew for my Savage Orc army, which you've all seen quite a lot of over the last few months. I bought the catapult some time ago and it was in a terrible state (I seem to do that a lot!). A previous owner had hacked it about significantly with a sharp knife and also lost the hand which forms the basket for the ammo.






Several hours of repair work with green stuff and a load of extra skulls and bits made a massive improvement but still left me short that crucial missing bit. The world's largest online flea market solved that problem, supplying a hand from the current Warhammer Fantasy giant kit. It arrived just 24 hours ago, allowing me to finish the model just in time thankfully.




Whilst not a properly "savage" unit I have kept the theme going by adding feathers and skulls galore, plus replacing the run-of-the-mill orc bully with a Savage Orc, nattily decked out in a lizard skin that matches the highlight colour of his precious war machine.




Part two is a belated Halfling Hotpot which was intended to be my comedic bonus round entry but which was held up by real life. I love this unit, both for the miniatures themselves and the sheer loopiness of it. Anything that can shoot diced carrots gets a vote in my book.



Powered by two muscular halflings under the direction of a cleaver wielding nutter and incorporating the Old World's only gigantic elastic band it is sure to wreak havoc in the enemy lines, or at the very least amuse my opponents by misfiring and killing my own troops.






Last up (and continuing an unintentional artillery theme?!?) is a unit of lascannons for my 40K Catachan force. Going strictly by the fluff the 'Chans aren't supposed to favour the lascannon, preferring slug throwing support and flamers. So why produce models? I don't care to be honest and these might be just about the only thing that stops my army of grunts greasing the hover pads on a nasty Eldar skimmer or three.





Not much to say about these really other than they are a joy to paint like every other Perry GW miniature I've ever gotten my mits on. I might base them eventually but I want to see everything in the army together and see if storage will accommodate that.





This lot is worth... Catachans = 60 points, Hotpot = 25 points and Crew/Catapult = 20 points plus whatever Curt deems the engine itself to be worth. Technically it's a crew served weapon so maybe 10 points?

So that's me done for another year! For the record I've painted a total of 676 infantry and cavalry, a good number of crew served weapons and close to a dozen vehicles. Not a a bad return and certainly my best year yet. All that remains is to do a few thank-yous...

Firstly, to all who have shared their work and wonderful enthusiasm with us a big thank you. Your own efforts bring me great pleasure and your comments and interest in mine an equal share of the same.

Secondly, to Dave and Miles for such an entertaining run of side challenges. I don't know if Miles has anything left in the locker so I might regain third spot. Or maybe not. Frankly I don't mind either way! You have both been terrific competitors and pushed me along at a pace that amazed quite a few people, myself included. That I couldn't keep it up right to the end due to external pressures is just one of those things.

And finally to Curt (and by proxy Sarah) who put up with all of us year on year. I truly don't know where you find the time and energy. I do know that without your selflessness, enthusiasm, wit and willingness to sacrifice yourselves this wouldn't happen. THANK YOU.

PS. Apologies Dave, I ran out of camel paint. Yes that IS a thing. I will paint my prize, I promise!

Happy painting people. Stay safe and see you next year...

Millsy


From Curt:

An awesome final entry Millsy! I'm delighted that the stone thrower parts came in on time as it would be a shame for them to miss the rear-guard action (and their points were critical as you can plainly see).

The Catachan lascannons are cool 'n all but it's the Halfling Hot Pot that gets my big thumbs up. My first Warhammer army was Dogs of War so I've always held a soft spot for their units (for which the Hot Pot was one).   

676 miniatures and close to a dozen vehicles? Wow. Just wow. Millsy, you are a force of nature my friend. Enjoy the new additions to your collection but more importantly, start amassing more stuff for next year!

Curt

15 comments:

  1. More great work Millsy.. Your output has been great to watch .. Now if only you had made the hand .. You might have gotten an extra point!

    Thanks for the laughs along the way

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great last entry Millsy! It has been great following your progress during the challenge. Some impressive entries along the way

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stuff Millsy. Do you think next year that you could slow down a bit so that us mere mortals have a chance of keeping up? :)

    Hmmm, it looks as though you and Miles have tied on 3204 points. I guess you could exchange Curt-signed spreadsheets or if one of you really must be the winner, deduct the theme bonus points and see who has the most "pure" points :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful last submission

    A tie? Well that means we just need to roll the challenge into next year with even bigger and yet more complicated spreadsheets

    "Bad boys, bad boys, whatcha ya goon do
    whatcha ya gonna do when the auto-calc's off"

    Oh yeah, this sheet's getting real

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more mate! Bring it on. :-)

      Delete
  5. All great but the Hot Pot is my favorite. I've always wanted to do some halfling units, just because. Impressive output this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hot pot, awesome old school goofy. Great stuff

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great last entry, the Hobbit Hotpot is brilliant

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  8. They all look grand, Millsy! Although I truely love the "flashlight" brigade, the pot chucker and goblobber for fun shenanigans, the winner for me is the rock lobber. Fantastic work on salvaging a broken kit and shoehorning it in your army. Machine and crew look grand! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone for your comments both here and on all my previous subs. Much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great work Mr Mills!!! And well done on the joint 3rd place!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Classic pieces lovely painting. Fantastic idea to use the giant hand :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely stuff! Apart from the Orc catapult I own these mini's myself as well but you've done them up better than mine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Some classic metal in that bunch. Good work on the salvage of the stone thrower. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great run Millsy - well done.

    ReplyDelete