Tuesday 24 November 2015

The List of Duels and Side Challenges for the 6th Painting Challenge


Below you will find a list of all the side challenges and duels that have been arranged by the participants. Some are still awaiting participants so I urge the Challengers to look over the list and see if anything piques your interest. 

I think I managed to capture all of them, but if I made a mistake and/or missed something please drop me a note and I'll make the corrections and update the list. 

- The 6mm Challenge -
IanW, MarkO and TamsinP have challenged each other to paint the most points in 6mm, in any period.

- The Sci-Fi Challenge -
GregB, SeanS, KyleC, SylvainR and DavidB will bash it out to see who paints the most points of sci-fi figures over the Challenge. Winner gets a figure from the rest of the competitors.

- The Native American Challenge -
DavidB and TamsinP are dueling to paint the most points of Native Americans/First Nations/Aboriginals.

- The Bronze to Steel Challenge -
IanW, ChristopherS, JonathanO, MarkH, MartinC and SebG will battle with brushes to see who can amass the most points painting Ancients in any scale.

- The Horus Heresy Challenge -
JamieM, GregB and PaulO’G have challenged one another to see who can paint the most points of 30K models in any scale.

- 101 Years War Challenge -
RayR and Curt challenge each other to see who paints the most points within the period 1662 - 1763.

- English Civil War Challenge -
AaronH and PaulO’G are dueling to see who can paint the most ECW models. Paul in 6mm and Aaron in 28mm.

- All Things Naval -
MilesR challenges one and all to see who can get the most points from nautical themed entries (not including the Nautical Theme Round).

- 1/1200 Napoleonic Ships -
MilesR has challenged PaulO’G to see who can paint the most points in 1/1200 Napoleonic ships.

- The Italian Job or The Renaissance Men -
Curt and PeterD are dueling to see who can paint the most points for their respective Italian Wars collections.

- The Pulp Challenge -
Simon, Curt, PhilH and MichaelA have challenged one another to see who can paint the most points in Pulp adventure figures over the three months of the event. The winner will get a painted figure from each of the vanquished. (Pulp being defined as being from 1850-1950)

- The Bothers Hawkins -
PhilH and IanH are dueling to see who will paint the most points by the end of the Challenge.

- Frostgrave Challenge -
AdamC, BillA, ScottS and SimonM are challenging each other to see who can paint the most points of Frostgrave related figures. These will include any official Frostgrave or other fantasy figure which are thematically appropriate.

- Dungeon Saga Challenge -
PaulS challenges anyone to beat him in completing all the miniatures in the core set.

- The Cetshwayo Challenge -
MartinC and MichaelA are conducting a Zulu duel. Whoever completes the most Zulus by the end of the Challenge receives a painted Induna from the other. Michael will have to paint one for every four from Martin

- The Bavarian Challenge -
Nick and Christopher are in a duel to see who can paint the most straight points (theme Bonus not included) over the Challenge. The winner gets a painted figure from the other.

- The Reject Challenge -
Fran and Ray are challenging each other and ALL Rejects to see who can amass the most points over the Challenge.

- The Duel of Spreadsheets -
MilesR has challenged Millsy (and any others mad enough) to see who can create the most mind-numbing spreadsheet plan for the Challenge and then stick to it.  Winner gets to give Curt a 4 hour course on the Joy's of Spreadsheets and why financial analysis really is cool.

- Modern Mayhem -
Curt, ByronM GregB and KyleC are dueling to see who will paint the most points in modern-period figures (from 1960 to Post-Apoc). The winner gets a figure from the vanquished.

- The LOTR Challenge -
ScottB and SteH are duelling to see who can paint the most Lord of the Rings figures over the duration of the Painting Challenge

- The Odin’s Night Challenge -
Dux has challenged JohnS, PaulO’G and StephenS to complete a warband for Musket & Tomahawks.  He will paint a character figure for each that meets the challenge.

- England and Spain, At It Again -
PhilH & JuanM are reprising last year’s race in which they challenge one another to see who can get to 100 points first.


85 comments:

  1. How about a Ray/Fran Reject challenge, a beat the other guy like a wet yeti challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Can we place bets on this!?

      Delete
    2. Now, this really will be a clash of titans, a battle of blogging legends!

      Fran, the honour of Old Hibernia rests upon your shoulders, while the Empire's reputation is now in your hands, Ray...

      ...so no pressure then!

      Delete
    3. And now I have an image of Fran and Ray wearing white fur coats and smacking each other with waterlogged saps.

      Delete
    4. Fran... Have not learnt .... Ray.. Sandbags ... Sandbags.... Ray

      Delete
  3. You'll be seeing this here first - I'm in for The 6mm Challenge (time to work on my 6mm Rebs) and the Native American Challenge (I've got a bunch of Aztecs to paint).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have you logged and loaded for your Challenges Tamsin!

      Delete
    2. Yah! Tamsin isn't scared of the woods!
      Thanks for picking up the Coup Stick...way more civilized smacking someone with a club than a glove anyhoo! ;)

      Delete
    3. David, you will have to look over your shoulder 24/7 - Tamsin is not a woman to be underestimated!

      Delete
    4. Tamsin IS a painting machine, and a very worthy opponent to cross brushes with. History is littered with those who underestimated tribesmen, women, and Gingers.Darn, Tamsin has me beat on two of those already.... ;)

      Delete
    5. How many times do i have to say this - "I AM NOT A MACHINE!". Jeez, anyone would think you guys keep repeating that falsehood to wind me up :p

      I wouldn't worry too much about me unleashing my inner painting demon on this side-challenge; I've got a ton of 6mm ACW to paint first :)

      Delete
  4. You forgot the most exciting and glamorous of all challenges "Ye ole Dueling Spreadsheets" between Millsy, me and any other erudite and sophisticated actuarial auteur who wants to participate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Has Mssr. Millsy agreed to this august endeavour?

      Delete
  5. Well actually I'm American, but I live in Germany and half my ancestors are German so I suppose the the German challenge will work.:-)

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll also take Ian up on the ancients challenge.>:-)

      Christopher

      Delete
    2. Trying to explain all that makes for a long title. :) I changed it to The Bavarian Challenge.Will that work? If not, give me a replacement.

      Delete
    3. ...hmmm, or 'The Boys from Bavaria' for a more conspiratorial flare. ;)

      Delete
    4. No worries Curt I wasn't critiquing the title and The Bavarian Challenge or German challenge sounds fine although Nick considers himself Frankish rather then Bavarian. It's a little confusing as there are regions within regions divided into even smaller regions within even larger regions in Germany.:-)

      Christopher

      Delete
    5. Oh, that hurts my head! Maybe we should have it as 'Franks vs Minnesotans' (that is your home state if my memory serves correctly, right?)

      Delete
    6. The Bavarian challenge is fine Curt as our games do in fact take place in Bavaria at my home.:-) Anyhow it has a nice ring to it.

      Christopher

      Delete
    7. Ahhh, don't be so hasty my friends! That's no simple matter here. While I do consider myself to be Franconian, or Frankish as Chris put it, matters are far more complicated with me. I'm a quarter Oberpfälzer (upper Palatinate is the geographical term) which is a district within Bavaria between Franconia and Lower Bavaria but just like Franconia it's not actually Bavarian, or at least that's how people see themselves. Another quarter of me is Silesian and therefore definitely not Bavarian.

      Delete
    8. Nick, you're putting me into a coma here. ;P We'll stick with 'The Bavarian Challenge' before Christopher feels forced to provide his full pedigree.

      Delete
    9. To make matters worse all ethnicities in Bavaria (no matter if they actually see themselves as Bavarians, Swabians, Franconians, or whatever) have a dislike for 'German non Bavarians' who are commonly called 'Saupreußen' meaning 'Bloody Prussians'.

      Delete
    10. Saupreuße doesn't actually mean that particular person actually is from former Prussia but someone definitely not Bavarian.
      But to ease your headache we shall stick with Bavarian Challenge... if with a slight grumble from my point of view.

      Delete
    11. You know I think you've just given a object lesson in why Europe has spent most of the last millennium at war with itself! Call it the Sneetches challenge and be done with it!

      Delete
    12. No kidding. And this is from a nation that has exhibited an impressive regional cohesion since 1871... Here in Saskatchewan, we just call people from other areas of Canada 'lucky'. ;)

      Delete
  6. Also for the Ancients challenge is Martin Cooke and Mark Hazell

    Looks like we will be having quite a party here :-)

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, I updated your duel - you've got a good mob in there!

      Delete
    2. Yip, the more the merrier. Need to buy brushes, paint, more brushes and oh yes more paint.
      We need a prize, some form of strategos to the winner from the others maybe

      Delete
    3. I hope in the Ancients challenge that mediaevals is included in that as I consider them part of the same thing.

      Christopher

      Delete
    4. I think Curt will have to make a ruling on that, Christopher!
      : )

      Delete
    5. I make every effort to keep out of the individual challenges and let the participants come up with their own rules/guidelines. That being said, personally, I consider the ancient and medieval periods distinct from one another, but that is just my opinion. As I'm not part of this challenge, what's the opinion of the other participants?

      Delete
    6. I have no problem personally including the Medieval boys, that is unless they are all just silver LOL

      Ian

      Delete
    7. I think making it an Ancients - Medieval challenge is fine.

      Delete
    8. If your curious I plan on painting up some long overdue Impetus Almoravids and some more Germanics. I'm hoping to include some Pyrrhic units as well depending on how smooth things are going. If we make it Ancients - Medieval challenge I can perhaps give a decent account, but without it my challenge might be a token one at best. That said I'll happily go with the flow and abide by whatever you gentlemen wish.:-)

      Christopher

      Delete
    9. Okay, how about the 'Iron to Steel Challenge', which will allow both Ancient and Medieval period figures. How's that work?

      Delete
    10. But that rules out the Bronze Age!
      ; )

      Delete
    11. Keeping with Curt's idea "Bronze to Steel Challenge " also would work well.:-)

      Christopher

      Delete
    12. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    13. Lets get it on, I can now add my long overdue Vikings to the table.

      Ian

      Delete
    14. Can me and evan suggest the "Wot no salt petre" duel

      Delete
  7. I belive Blax Kleric and Bill Adcock are also joining us in the Frostgrave Challenge, it shoudl be quite the contest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adam, Curt's already got me down for the "Frostgrave". He knows my secret identity ;-)

      Delete
    2. Yes, I have the ability to 'out' all the painting Super Heroes..;)

      Delete
    3. Is the frostgrave challenge open to other participants? If so, I'd be interested :)

      Delete
    4. I'll pop you on the list of miscreants, er, participants, Paul!

      Delete
  8. Curt - Can I suggest that we rename our challenge as the Renaissance Men as it sound more urbane and less, ummm, criminal...
    I would take part in the 101 Year War challenge but I've seen the RayR 9YW French Cavalry production line in action! Ditto Miles naval challenges , I fancy my chances about as well as my chances in a foot race with Usain Bolt.
    Cheers, PD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um, but most things that occurred in Italy during the 15th and 16th century were criminal. Request Denied. ;P

      Delete
    2. ...on the other hand I'm all about being 'urbane' so we'll split the difference...

      Delete
    3. That works! Loser to paint a period figure for the winner?

      Delete
    4. Wonderful idea. I'd like a member of the Papal clergy. You best get started. ;P

      Delete
  9. Hi Curt - I am not in the 30k challenge, I was just interested in it.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I thought your inquiry to Epic scale meant you would be in if it was given the OK. Sorry, my bad!

      Delete
  10. I should point out that Greg's scifi wager has us all comitted to sending a token mini IF vanquished. The more participants, the larger the fireteam! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay another one for you all: 'Modern Mayhem'

    I've challenged ByronM to see who can paint the most modern period figures during the Challenge. I'm placing modern as being from 1950 to Post-Apoc. Let me know if any others are interested. The winner gets a figure from the vanquished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, the timeline has been edited to 1960 - Post-Apoc. The 50's are just not that modern anymore...

      Delete
    2. Is entering two challenges just crazy? I'm jolly tempted.....

      Delete
    3. No, but i'm in three or four now so don't trust my opinion!

      Delete
  12. I would like to participate in the Ancients challenge, please. There is no shortage of ancient figures in my "cupboard of shame". Some of them really are ancient!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll slot you in Jonathan. Good luck emptying your cupboard! :)

      Delete
  13. Now I've gone and done it. I hope I have enough Sci-Fi figures to even compete. I guess it's an excuse to buy more. The spread sheet challenge is hilarious. I think the lecture need to be a video conference. ;) I'd love to try my hand at the Dungeon Saga one, but I still haven't received my main box so I may be out of that one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm also in for the Ancients challenge. Don't know if I'll do much but I have some stuff to paint for a tournament, so, who knows

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure thing. I'll update the roster once I get home Seb.

      Delete
  15. Ste and I have come up with an idea... we are going to see how many LOTR/Hobbit troops we can paint by end of challenge, than have a game against each other with our newly painted troops only ... winner get bragging rights! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, that sounds like a great duel! I'll update the listing when I'm at my home machine.

      Delete
  16. I find it very hard to enter side challenges as I have no idea what I will EVER be painting. I think I know tomorrow, but not totally sure. But I do wish all the challengers and the challenged the very best of luck!

    And I would take Joy in pointing out that Your good self and Tamsin are also Rejects (as am I) so feel free to dump on Ray and Fran as well. Hee hee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course all Rejects and honorary Rejects should be included in this duel??

      Delete
  17. I'm afraid I must respectfully withdraw from the Pulp side challenge; I've been forbidden from buying more miniatures for an unspecified period of time by my significant other, and while I've got plenty to keep me busy for the Frostgrave challenge, I have nothing pulp appropriate currently in my leadpile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's tough news Bill - sorry to hear it. Here's hoping Santa can get through the miniature embargo. :)

      Delete
    2. To clarify, it's not like she's stamping her foot and going "Too many miniatures!" We had an expensive week last week as we were hosting visiting relatives and she and I are both putting a month-long pause on hobby shopping (which may drive her crazier than it drives me) so our bank accounts can recover :)

      Delete
  18. Can I join in on this Sci-fi challenge? Am also interested in the Modern one.. I think I have enough of both to work.. Too bad nothing fits into the WW2 genre ;) Have a load of them that I plan on painting up here :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem. I'll put you in for both, Kyle.

      Delete
    2. Hmm my first reaction after seeing Kyle sign up for the Sci Fi challenge is, where can I send you your figure? But I'll be a sport and give it a go.

      Delete
  19. This made me chuckle. But you know what they say about thr best laid plans and all that. Though this mini competitions are going to fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete