Friday 22 January 2016

From SanderS - Ze Germans are coming! (84points)

Hoi - Next up in my Challenge painting schedule are some of my old Matchbox German WW2 soldiers. I believe there are miniatures from the Early war set (including an American Bazooka armed soldier) and a few DAK figures among them.


Now I know I might have said some ANZACS or Vikings were up next, but they will have to wait. I just didn't get into the mood of painting Khaki after finishing the CW Ruski's.



Now as far as historical accuracy goes, I am not altogether sure these are anything like accurate at all, both in sculpting details and my paint job but I will only be using them for the odd skirmish game now and then. So no biggie!
Cheers Sander

Another very cool submission Sander. Matchbox figures! Now that is interesting, and I suspect many of us had a bunch of figures like this lying around our collections at one point or another.  Super neat to see them painted up!  From what I can see, the colours all look just fine, but I think you have just the right approach painting WW2 - looks good for skirmishing, then they are good to go!

That will be 84 points for you, sir.  Well done, and we look forward to next week's submission!

23 comments:

  1. I must say the soft plastic matchbox figures have painted up very well indeed. Nice one mate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of Matchbox Figures... are these the same guys who make the toy cars? They seem like very nice scupts and you painted them very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, the same. In the 70s/80s (and possibly later) they produced soft plastic soldiers and hard plastic model kits. From what I remember, they were a bit less "chunky" than Airfix figures.

      Delete
    2. You can check their produce here: http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/ManufacturerList.aspx?id=15

      Delete
  3. Great attitude Sander, that's the way. And they ain't half bad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coming from you that's high praise indeed ;-)

      Delete
  4. I like these old school figures Sander!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have been sitting on my plastic pile long enough so yeah thanks mate!

      Delete
  5. Lots of memories flooding back, real nice work too

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, lots of memories there! The only set I'm missing are the Japanese, my favorites were the commandos. ;)
    Really good work on them, I do recognize each of em! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the Commando's and ANZACS as well but cannot decide which I like best...

      Delete
  7. There's no school like Old Skool! You've done a wonderful job on these venerable soldiers. I think you've done a smashing job on their early-war uniform. Very, very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt, the Challenge is a chance for me to paint up all these loose ends. WW2 is a bit of a sore point for me. I have quite a lot of figures from back in the days when I was a kid and got started on the hobby. That said I have not played a game of WW2 to date and doubt whether I ever will. A lot of my family members have witnessed the war first hand as the Germans occupied the Netherlands and they had a lot of bad experiences from that. So I love to paint these and make them part of my collection proper but I am not sure if they will ever see the tabletop.

      Delete
  8. Nicely done. They look great.

    ReplyDelete