Friday 22 January 2016

From AlexS - Pikes, Horses, General and the Army of Venice is Complete! (311 points)

Hello! My name is Alex and I'm an alcoholic paintholic. I have been painting my Venetian army for 31 days now, and I am happy to say that I have finished this project.

Today I'll tell you what I have finished in order to complete the overall project. For a start - a detachment of pikemen hired from Switzerland.


Next - again with mercenaries, however, this time from the Balkans (Stradioti). I have done models with bows, and crossbows, and spears so I can, if needed, declare the unit armed with whatever weapon. I have not settled on a flag, so for now they gather around a beautiful "stick"...


Then you see the general of the army - the glorious Condottiere. I wanted a Venetian lion on his barding, but when I saw my results I think I got a dead cat, so I took a decal from a set Brettonia.



Finally, the last unit in my army - mounted knights. This time I did not use the airbrush because it was beautiful at night. I'm not sure I like the results, and I see I forgot to cut the banner...


So, thanks to this wonderful event, I did what I have wanted to do for four years - I have collected and painted small Venetian army. Thank you to Curt, and my "minion" Greg, and to all of you in the Challenge who helped me with the encouragement.

Here are photos of the whole force - including a number of units painted during the Challenge!



Congratulations on completing this project Alex! Although as you will see, and I'm sure a few Challengers will comment, I don't know of any wargame project or force that is ever, truly, "finished".  These Venetians look wonderful, ready to cause havoc on battlefields in Italy and elsewhere in some medieval gaming.  There are a number of excellent figures here, but my favourites are always the heavy cavalry, ready to stomp their opponents into the turf. 

Great to see the photo of the whole group - and it must be nice to see the whole lot of them line up for action after so many days of "paint-o-holism".  

Your pace has really been something else, and this submission will add another significant amount of points to your total - that's 311 more!  Is there another project looming for you?

37 comments:

  1. A lovely army, its great to be able to call a project done isn't it!
    Also I think many of us could be described as drinkers with a painting problem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, alcohol I have no problems, but some kind of addiction in my life need :)

      Delete
  2. A most impressive haul - very nicely done

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that's just great. The Challenge at its best. Great stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I do not think that will turn out so well.

      Delete
  4. Fantastic effort Alex :)

    However, as we all know, there is no such thing as "complete" unless followed by the words "for now" ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. While oil is cheap, this project is still "closed" :)

      Delete
  5. These are really nice and well done on getting a completed (for now) force done! Definitely one of the best things about the challenge. I like how you've used bright colours but still kept the unit looking believeable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done Alex. I can't compete with your pace!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done on getting a project complete, you did a great job on it too

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent work Alex. And well done finishing a project. I'm very jealous, I've Never ever finished a project.......ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surely you just need baggage trains at this point?! ;)

      Delete
    2. Thank you Ray. Maybe I have it continue. But first I want to play these miniatures.

      Delete
    3. Oh, that's not a problem. I did carts for SAGA and I have them :)

      Delete
  9. I am impressed with the speed and the quality of the work.

    I also have never completed a wargames project to finality, just settling for "enough for now".

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really great work, Alex! I like the campaign feel of them....and the officers with big hats! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is amazing Alex! I think you've done a great job on this army. I particulalry like the subdued tone of the force, yet it's still punctuated with intermittent vibrant colours. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I think that I'm just not able to paint the "juicy" :)

      Delete
  12. ...AND you've broken through your points target! A big congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not expect that this event will be for me so inspiring and fruitful :)

      Delete
  13. That's an amazing looking army. I can't believe you painted all of that in a month. Truly impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, now I paint more slowly than before. Before, I would have painted this army in a week ...

      Delete
  14. Nice work Alex! A very impressive looking force!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cheers! prosit! santé ! nazdrovié!
    congratulations for your efforts!hic!
    Barman! give us the same please!hic!;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Excellent looking army, great to see the Swiss are from Bern since I visited the Berner Oberland and seen much of these flags flying there still.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great job completing this project. They are a very fierce looking army.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My head is spinning at the speed with which you completed these chaps. Wonderful painting and any Doge of Venice would be well pleased to welcome these battalions into his forces. Marvellous work!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations on completing this great looking force!

    ReplyDelete