Monday 22 February 2016

From IanW 6mm Italian Guard Conscripts Adler 36 points

Keeping with 6mm for another week but for this post lets change supplier to Adler. I received these figures this week and thought I had better get some of them painted up straight away. This almost finishes my Italian Guard troops for Project Russia 1812, just a couple of squadrons of Honour Guards to do,

Two battalions each of 29 figures each, whilst I don't have any skirmish figures that would go with these I did manage to order an extra strip of figures for each unit! Also the command strip comes with five figures so I added these as file closers.

These are some of the brightest looking of the Italian Guard units, not only are their coats full green but they sport a rather large light green plume too. Makes the white cross belts pop. 

Adler are certainly the better looking figures, the motion that Mr Locke gets in his figures is better than many a 15mm sculptor can provide. To achieve this the figures tend to have parts that are a bit flimsy and very thin leading to the odd sword, bayonet or horse tail to be lost. Our basing takes this into account with the bigger bases saving the need to handle figures. Not that it saves all the breaks.

The figures are actually French Young Guard and fit the bill perfectly for the Italians as the uniform was near enough the same, especially in 6mm.

The detail Leon gets in his figures is exceptional, look at the faces he manages to sculpt, the man is amazing. As you also see from the close up the brush work is not quite as fine as it seems from a distance. Mind you using the 2 foot rule you really can't see much beyond the colours anyway.

So two 29 figure units grab me a 29 point advance in my mini war that is the 6mm challenge.

Wow Ian you have done it again.  Once again I had to check to be sure that these weren't larger figures.  Shako cords and plates, cuff and collars, cross belts all in 6mm.  And facial details!  And those flags.  May I comment that only you would worry over using French Young Guard figures for Italian Guard in 6mm?  I'd be happy bodging it in 28mm!    More grist for the 6mm side duel mill.  I will count 29 for the base figures plus 2 for the flags plus 5 for the basing and wonderfulness!  For a total of 36 points.

31 comments:

  1. Impressive little soldiers Ian... put my 10mm work to shame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adam, I find 10mm more difficult than 6mm to be honest. Harder to hide errors

      Ian

      Delete
  2. Very sharp group of Italians, Ian! Those colors do pop well on them! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome, awesome tiny little men! Great work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, the sculpts are so nice to work with

      Ian

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous figures Ian - the bright green really pops :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin, I wanted these to stand out the most. Looking at the various guard units the conscripts did seem to have the brighter colour

      Ian

      Delete
  5. 6mm well painted and just fantastic. Who would not like units like this on the table top. I know I would.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Clint, pity they will only get a few games as they did not fight much

      Ian

      Delete
  6. Cracking job Ian,,. The Adler youngsters are excellent figures..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are indeed, I will have to paint up my own French Guard at some point so will be returning to these guys

      Ian

      Delete
  7. Well done Ian. Adler stuff is top shelf - but basing them kind of makes me suicidal...excellent work here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, my next Adler bases will have to have all the figures mounted separately, already ordered extra medication

      Ian

      Delete
  8. Lovely work Ian. I'm with Greg on basing the buggers, but you've preservered, kept your sanity and created top-of-the-line units once again.

    I find the whole idea of 'Guard Conscripts' just hilarious. Not exactly a booming vote of confidence. 'Yes, we *think* they'll be crack troops once they see battle... Well, just look at those plumes! That braid! Those shakos! Only heroes wear such uniforms.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also share your joy of the Guard Conscripts, France also referred to some of the Young Guard as Guard Conscripts and from what I cam make out many of these were not battle hardened but rather drafted into the Guard due to such things as height and intelligence. All that said the troops with a core of experienced troops seeded to do well (the French that is)

      Ian

      Delete
  9. Peter, thanks again for the rather nice words, so much of the detail in the painting is presented to you by the fine work of the figures. Clean up can be a pain, I would say that the average Adler figure takes at least half as long as a Baccus figure, sometimes double if the clean up is heavy going. The reward though is worth it.... mostly

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. Thanks Anne, I think I like these the most out of all the 6mm Naps I have done recently

      Ian

      Delete
  11. That final close up pic is fantastic, really shows the detail you manage to cram into such tiny figures - very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are some outstanding Italians! To me all Naps look the same except for the different colours. So I wouldn't spot the difference between French young guard and Italian Guard conscripts in any scale.

    ReplyDelete