Sunday 25 December 2016

From ByronM: Epic 30k Death Guard Army - Part 1 (90 Points)

Well, it only look a few days to go off track from my plan, but that was due to some issues with my Dropfleet Commander stuff where I am trying a ship using painted highlights and one airbrushed highlights and trying to figure out which is a better look/time spent and having some issues with either one doing edge highlighting that small.

So, instead of staying frustrated I moved on to something else, that while not high on my priority list, was something I was REALLY looking forward to painting, some of the Epic 30k stuff that I got last year and has been waiting for the Challenge.

I tried doing everything to match my current 28mm Death Guard 30k army.  I figured out early on though that I can not do the same weathering as on my 28mm models as in 6mm the models just become sepia / rust coloured blobs. So I went with a much harder light / dark look.


The infantry and rhinos are the old school original plastics, but I think they still hold up just fine (and I have a ton of them still on sprue) so I am just using them for most infantry, instead of the real 30k metal ones.


Also from the old plastics (and metals) are the original dreadnoughts and predators.  The wife thinks I am insane for painting things this small, and even more insane for painting XIV on each shoulder pad for the infantry and dreadnoughts and crossed scythes on the other shoulders.  She knows me well :-)


Now onto some of the figures that I have really wanted to paint for a long while!  A squad of three Sicarans and Sicaran Venators!  These are amazing models in 28mm and the 6mm versions are just as clean, every single panel line and cable from the full size version is there on the 6mm version. 


These two versions of the Sicaran are my favourite tanks in 30k as I feel they are one of the best looking sci-fi tank hulls out there in any game or fiction.  They have huge guns, an aggressive sloped stance that just scream speed and aggression, what more could you want.

Lastly, 3 super heavy tanks, because why just kill something when you can kill it, then vaporize it, then annihilate any dust left from it.  When you want something dead, overkill is the only way to go.  Besides, all 3 of these vehicles are just stunning.


The whole force was painted very quickly (as you can tell from the images) but I think came out very well for anything 6mm and have a suitable dirty used look for me, but not too dirty that you can't tell what they are. 


The painting was super simple.  Prime black, quick drybrush bleached bone, heavy ink with earth shade,  paint "white" panels with palid wychflesh and green panels with camo green, light wash of sypia, then paint black bits light grey and wash twice with blank ink. Add in the logos and numbers and add come basing tufts and all done.
 
Oh and not done yet, but a work in progress of an Arena Rex gladiator.  I only show it as I have started the NMM on the blade (very rough as you can see), and it may just get regular metallic paint in the end, so just something to remember the NMM by.


Overall while there are a lot of models here, it doesn't total up to a lot of points due to the scale.  I have more epic 30k to paint, but it will come later on as they are still on their way here.

Hope everyone likes the look of these, and also has a Merry Christmas!  See you again in a few days.

___________________________

Oh wow, those 30K Deathguard look absolutely terrific Byron. You are a bit touched to be painting XIV on the Dreadnoughts shoulder armour but it looks awesome (BTW we're scoring Dreds as 'guns', just in case you're wondering). Speaking of looking awesome, that WIP Arena Rex gladiator is coming along very, very nicely. Looking forward to playing some of that when we get together next.

A tidy 90 points for you Mr. M!

27 comments:

  1. Great detail on these small models

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent work - While I've never played, I really like the look of epic30k

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every year I see Epic figures and vehicles and think. I want to do that. and every year I fail to do so, mostly due to the prices on eBay. All that is a long winded way of saying I really DO LIKE THEM AND APPRECIATE SEEING THEM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking 30K, and yes your a bit touched to be doing the extra detail but good on you for doing so.

    Love the work on the Arena Rex figure and may just push me into doing the one I have prepped and ready to go soon

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  5. Impressive output - both in quality and quantity!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Impressive work on all the Epic goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you mossed it Curt, i painted XIV on the Infantry shoulder pads as well! Yes all 80 of them, and yes I am mad.... Look closely at the side shot of the infantry :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're just saying you did that as we can't actually see with a human eye...

      Delete
  8. Just gorgeous Byron. And no matter what Curt says *I* believe you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look great! This is a game I hope GW brings back.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done Byron - I look forward to seeing these guys on the table!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The gladiator is very nice, but the death guard is the show! They turned out really well!
    I still have heaps of epic, but from two space marine games and the Adeptus Titanicus games from the 80's ebay and forgeworld get a little pricy for the bits I need! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cool.That's quite an entry in the duel Byron. Love the attention to details, Epic always looks good en masse!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those look amazing. I can't believe you are painting numbers on the shoulders at that scale.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great work Byron, and you're a loon no matter where the XIVs went.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic work, they do look an imposing sight all together!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lots of colour variety on these little guys and the basing is first rate, really carries them to the next level. Lovely looking force.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very nice highlighting and shading!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Most splendid work, Byron - fine detailing and numbering at such a tiny scale! I really like the look of these chaps - terrific!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sidney, means a lot coming from someone with your paining skills! :-)

      Delete