Wednesday 24 January 2018

From Barks: Mansions of Madness 90pts

Not Star Wars, but still a Fantasy Flight boardgame offering: the figures from the latest Mansions of Madness expansion. The sculpt quality has vastly improved from the first edition, but there is still room for improvement.

First, our heroes. Tommy Muldoon is the rookie cop. He's got something of a young Peter O'Toole going on in his cheekbones.

Finn Edwards is a bootlegger. His face is great, but didn't photograph well. I tried to paint him carrying a bottle of illicit whisky, which was tricky.


Diana Stanley is the former cultist with a heart of gold. Her face is a little featureless, unfortunately. I gave her green details, as most of my Cthulhu stuff has green in it. I quite like how the candle flame and wax look.

Not all the foes they face are supernatural: the hired guns with their derby hats became some clichéd Irish hitmen under my brush. I enjoyed layering their trenchcoats.


The skeletons are suitably 19th century with their watch chains and waistcoats.


My favourites are the Star Vampires. These are invisible creatures which can be heard faintly tittering, and become visible by being filled up with their victims' blood. They're a chaotic mess of teeth and tentacles- perfect. I based them on 60mm bases.


Finally, the Lloigor. It is some sort of invisible reptile thing, and I'm not really fond of the sculpt- it is a monster designed by a gaggle of schoolkids. It's got two legs, four arms with claws, four arms with pincers, eight eyes, a pincer on the tail, armour on the back of it's neck, floppy looking spines- it really reminds me of the Black Beast of Arrgh! I persevered with multiple thin layers of grey, and am satisfied with the outcome. It's big- I based it on an 80mm mini-disc.





Keen students will note a missing figure- wait for a future theme round!


From Ray
Definitely not Star Wars! But still a great mix of figures, I unfortunately know bugger all about Cthulhu or Flight of Fantasy, but I still appreciate a well painted figure. I too can see the Peter O'Toole resemblance in Tommy Muldoon, its a great relaxed pose. I can imagine Diane Stanley starring in an old black and white film from the 30's, where the film and make up they wore kinda dulled facial features.....or am I talking a load of tosh?
The monsters look great especially the big beastie! So are we to expect an even bigger beast in the monster round? Me thinks so???
I'm not up with monsters so asked Curt to help out on their points, we've gone with

7x 28mm figures 35 points
2x monsters on 60mm bases 15 points each
1x monster on 80mm base. 25 points I've counted this large Monster as a 28mm vehicle but added a further 10 points for its size.
Making a grand total of 90 points,


38 comments:

  1. ~Lovely monsters and character Barks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant - love the Irish gangsters but the Star Vampires are the business - horrifying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jamie, I’m looking forward to seeing them on the tabletop!

      Delete
  3. Brilliant stuff mate! The Star Vampires are awesome.

    I think Dougal describes the beast perfectly...
    https://youtu.be/W_xOfxY5n2U

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that is just brilliant - top shelf work on humans and the assorted cosmic horrors alike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Evan, there’s some nice variety in this subject!

      Delete
  5. Great painting work. I opted for the LCG version (Arkham Horror) but I'm sooooo tempted to jump into the boardgame after this...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The LCG is very impressive, but if you’re a miniatures man...

      Delete
  6. Very nice, I am expecting the game today, hopefully I can paint them as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Have fun! The earlier sculpts aren’t as nice, unfortunately.

      Delete
  7. Curt runs this game for our group and it's a lot of fun. Lovely work on the investigators and evil critters. If I had to face those Star Vampires I'd be sampling some of that illicit whisky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’re a lucky chap. Certainly the Star Vampires make me question the nature of the universe.

      Delete
  8. Awsome bunch especialy the Irish hitman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Adam, I think they’ll be useful for other period games as well.

      Delete
  9. Awesome brushwork! Very, very fine quality work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice painting on all of these!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job on these. Makes me want to dig my figs out and paint them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really adds to the experience- do it!

      Delete
  12. Terrific work Barks. I really like your painting on these figures. The O'Toole is wonderful but that Star (Wars) Vampire is the cat's pyjamas. I'd be pushing one of my colleagues forward if I saw one of those things coming at the party. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. “Such a tragedy- he willingly sacrificed himself for us... really.”

      Delete
  13. Really good stuff. Excellent painting and interesting miniatures. The monsters would be excellent for Kings of War. cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They’re scale agnostic, so I could use them as kaiju or other sci-fi beasties.

      Delete
  14. Fantastic painting, humans and aliens alike!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely brushwork Barks! Really good job of board game-quality minis

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are some fabulous mini's Barks,I really like the look of the human figures. There's a high-quility feel to them that makes the top marks eye candy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Sander, that’s very nice of you to say so.

      Delete
  17. Nice work on these figures, Barks. I quite like the police officer, it seems he may have an early Indian motor bike stashed nearby! The monsters are the stars, I especially like the big gribbly!
    I've often thought this game qlwould be a great start to a pulp miniature force (s)!

    ReplyDelete