Saturday 27 January 2018

From BrendonW: - Goblin Archer Horde (125 points)

25 x 28mm, Plastic, Goblins.
These old Games Workshop Night Goblins have been repainted in my first experiment. I have wanted to create a Goblin army for Kings of War based on my old collection. Under old Warhammer rules Goblins usually existed as a part of an Orcs and Goblins army but KoW has them running solo. The concept for Goblins has always been very Zulu. Tharsands of them sir! So more are in the pipeline.

I wanted to get away from the bright Disney Goblin Green skin color so have used Vallejo Green-Grey. I also wanted to try stepping away from the plain black robes usually associated with them.
I was surprised at how much more muted they became overall. I also had a go at painting a few rusty things (standard, gong and Moon icon).







My first submission since returning from a Holiday. You think I would have painted something with less figures and that also had more prep work done. Lots of trimming off the slotta base Tab and flash removal prior to painting. That probably helped get my head back into painting mode though.

Cheers from Brendon

__________________________

I love these Brendon, great work.  The new 'Night Goblin' colour scheme works really well and the muted effect just helps bring the unit together as a whole.  Great basing and attention to detail - a solid 125 points to your tally.  

15 comments:

  1. They‘ve turned out nicely! I‘ve always been a fan of these little critters and yours certainly look like a tough bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking unit here and I think the colour choices really work. I also like the base work and how KoW deals with that, I always hated the pile-o-dead you ultimately ended up with at the end of a WFB game as units got picked apart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice gobbos Brendon - the green-grey works well for their skin :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent work Brendon! I really like the more muted tones on these goblins, but my favourite aspect of them is the basing - I love the massed look of the unit on the single base as it lends itself to vignettes and storytelling. Wonderful stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a splendid vignette! Looking forward to seeing more of their ilk this Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really nice goblins , I've got these and I'm planning on doing them for dragon rampant and I agree the muted colours are much better.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved these models back when I painted up mine, but like how you did them much better. Love the muted tones made there. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really nice take on Gobbos here Brendan and your big base looks so much better than them all ranked up

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone. More Goblins will appear soon. cheers

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great work Brendon! Those darker earthy tones look really nice on them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice Brendon - and once again, Kings of War sounds like a lot of fun...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea to use a more greyish skin tone...mmmmm might have to steal that idea.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the muted look. They would blend with the landscape as they spring a massive ambush.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice work on these gobbos, Brendon! They look superb ranked up and in those colors. I like that base work for the regiment too.
    I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more of these!

    ReplyDelete