Wednesday 16 January 2019

From TeemuL: Death Guard and a Pair of Adventurers (50 points)

Games Workshop released Death Guard Battle Force before Christmas, and I just couln't resist myself any longer, so I bought it. I have been painting quite a lot of green lately (Nurgle demons and warriors for AoS and my Genestealer Cult Kill Team has green overalls), so I wasn't sure how to approach these marines. Color schemes on the Codex were pretty much just different greens, so not very helpful, but there was luckily one, which was mostly white. Death Guard used to be mostly white before Horus Heresy and some parts of the legion have kept those colors. I think my army is one of the "early adopters", they aligned themselves with Nurgle quite soon, before the green was the new black, so they kept their white power armors. Painting white is not so nice (that's why I don't have White Scars army), but chatting with a clerk at the local store convinced me of "dirty white", which would be suitable for my many means: Death Guard, not green, not too painful to paint etc. I did paint the shoulder trims and some other details in green, just to tie them nicely with Nurgle (if it is not obvious already with all spikes, horns, tentacles, maws, teeth etc).


In the middle of the painting I realized I had found my inner Blanchitsu, I hadn't even thought about it before I had some WIP minis on my hand, there's lots of Reikland Flesh Shade on these guys. And then some more on top of that. I usually have a very tidy paint style, but with these I took a more relaxed approach, this is some painting, not just coloring. There are lots of mistakes and spoils, huge amounts of washes are not easy to control, but what the heck! I really like the atmosphere of these guys, it is more about the feeling than clean result. I also skipped lots of details, they could be white anyway, won't they? Also I'd like to have a playable army quite soon and with all this Squirreling, it is difficult enough already.


Here's one 7 man strong unit of Plague Marines and one Plague Surgeon, Nauseous Rotbone.


Guns are painted Genestealer Purple with Druchii Violet shades and Emperor's Children highlights. Bladed weapons are mostly metal with Druchii Violet. Whole model, and I do mean whole model, is drybrushed slightly with Moot Green and washed heavily with Reikland Flesh Shade. This makes the armor look worn and unclean, green looks like fungi or something like that, not healthy at all.


I'm very happy with these guys, just need to assemble, prime and paint some more of them.


And speaking of Squirreling, here's something else again. Two figures from the Legend of Drizzt boardgame by Fantasy Flight Games. I have been slowly painting figures from this game over the years, but since it doesn't see the table time that much, it is buried under other projects. But anyway, here are Athrogate, Dwarf Battlerager, and Guenhwyvar.




Where the latter two are clearly 25mm scale, the Death Guard are about 33mm to eye level, but there is no such scale. Quick look at the history, and I believe these are all scored as 25/28mm minis, just like Stormcast Eternals and other newer GW minis. Based on that, it will be 50 points.
_____________________________________________________________

Very nice work, Teemu, if the word 'nice' can be realistically applied to a band of filthy, disease-ridden plague cultists!

The unified colour palette works, and the use of the off-white as a starting point on the armour is a refreshing take on this traitor Chapter.

The panther and Athrogate are both very good as well. That's 50 points for you!

Ev

16 comments:

  1. Great work Teemu! I assume that you made sure that you were up on all of your shots before starting these guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nurgle is the god of life and he gives us his blessings. :)

      Delete
  2. Wow, those Nurgle guys are awesome Teemu. I love the faded pinks and purples - very cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt, I had to find out some nice contrasting, but sickly, color.

      Delete
  3. Great looking death guard, lovely colour combinations!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done Teemu, the off-white is a great choice. The greens and purples compliment it nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stuart, I really like it myself and I'm happy others like it s well.

      Delete
  5. Very cool indeed Teemu. Love that greasy, inked effect on the blades.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael! The blades are first painted metal, then drybrushed with green, Druchii Violet wash and Reikland Flesh Shade wash. They don't look something you want to be cut with...

      Delete
  6. Great colours on these, I do like the contrasts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now, that's quite a number of putrefying bodies in power armour. Well done!

    ReplyDelete