Saturday 16 February 2019

From EvanH: Sun Dome Templar Command (16 points)

Running a little later than I would have liked with these guys - and yes, it's back to Glorantha for a look at the Sun Dome Templars, the elite pikemen of the Cult of Yelmalio, the god of light.

Sun County is an independent principality of farming militiamen in the Valley of Cradles in Prax, It was first covered in detail by Michael O'Brien back in the days of the so-called RuneQuest Renaissance of the early 1990s. His elevator pitch for the project was 'Spartans in the Wild West', which I think describes it perfectly.



The three figures below are Aventine Miniatures Tarentine Phalangites from their Pyrrhic Wars range, lovely sculpts with a wealth of detail. I've pressed them into service as Yelmalio Cultists.


I've taken a leaf from Millsy's book and based them individually to enable them to be used as single figures in a skirmish or roleplaying environment, or ranked up in a sabot base as an entire regiment (and yes, there are a quite few more of these guys in the pipeline!).




The captain of the regiment is resplendent in a blue cloak and bronze muscle cuirass.



The unit musician carries a trumpet, and a shield with a Truth Rune hand-painted on it.



The banner bearer carries a hand-painted standard, emblazoned with the Fire/Sun Rune.

So all up, 15 points, thank you Mr Adjudicator, plus whatever scraps you see fit to allow me for the handpainted shield and banner!

Ev

JamieM - Some proper old school Runequest for a Saturday!  I never really got into Runequest, but these chaps are splendid.  The blue and Bronze go very well together indeed.  15 points plus a pip for the rune of truth and hand painted shield.  I shall look forward to more of them as the pipeline clears.

14 comments:

  1. Great looking runequest types,I really like the blue and white combo, I've got some old citadel runequest figures,I think they were the first figures I painted in acrylics.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a bunch of them which I left too long and lead rot set in. I can't bring myself to chuck them out!

      Delete
  2. Very nice Evan, the colours are truly vibrant and complement each other very well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well done Evan! Your blue and white makes for an excellent colour combination on these lads.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely blue and bronze combination - really works well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work. Aventine are great figs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice figures. I’ll second the comment on the blue and bronze combo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the kind words, folks, I'll get that unit finished somehow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eagerly waiting for the rest of the unit. The command group above look great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now, that's a proper pikeman! Great looking command group. Well done Ev.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Look great evan and I've always been a fan of Aventine figures.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete