Saturday 16 March 2019

From Dave D - Sudan, Bengal Lancer camel troop (80 points)

Yes dear readers it camel time! It seemed only right for this to be the post that takes me over my challenge target.

I picked up a copy of Cassels War in the Soudan a few years ago published in the 1880s which had a line drawing of Indian troops with turban , with a lance, mounted on a camel. The 9th Indian light cavalry known as Hodkins Horse were deployed to the Sudan and were sabre and carbine armed. However the mahdists habit of lieing on he floor and striking with thier swords at the horses caused the cavalry to reuse some of the mahdists spears to get at em ... turning into using lances. Anyway i figure it seemed a natural progression to use a mount more suited to Sudan so with a limited bit of reference I decided to form a troop of these to add the rest of the regiment .





These are a marriage of Connoisuer Bengal Lancer figure with camels from the same range. These are original Peter Gilder sculpts that inspired the collection . The camels at at least 40 years old sculpts but are still my favourite camels from all the ranges out there.

I did my usual of soldering in the piano-wire lances to the hands . I had to make a bit of pommel for front of a saddle from milliput. Over very pleased with them

So 8 mounted = 80 points ... and that is me over my challenge target with a couple of days to go...and unless Millsy has a mega sandbag in play the honours in our duel...

I may have one more submission up my sleeve .. we will see


Tamsin:

I wondered if we'd see some more hairy-smelly-spitty things, and here you are bringing us eight of them. And their camels riders!

Great work Dave, but only eight of them? Surely there must be more to come?

Anyway, I've already abused my minion-power once to round you off to a multiple of 5 and as you have conveniently let this lot's score be so divisible, I won't award any more bonuses.

11 comments:

  1. Ah yes... this is I think it for camels ...I don’t have anymore in the camel pipeline ....200+ is enough for anyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see some camels Dave. Bengal Lancers are always appreciated too, and I wasn’t aware that there was a camel troop so I’ve learned something too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a relief,I was worried we would be down on our camel quota but I think we're alright now! Lovely work,nice conversions!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a helluva unit, Dave, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a bunch of beauties! Lovely bit of conversion work Mr.D. As Iain says, I feel much better now that the box for our camel quota has been properly checked.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent work Dave! Riders and mounts do look rather posh I dare say.

    ReplyDelete