Saturday 27 February 2021

From Martijn N: The Hatchery (26 points)

 

All my Challenge painting plans, as Moltke already famously predicted, have not survived contact with the enemy. However, having somehow succeeded in reaching my (admittedly modest) target I feel free to do more or less as I feel. And although it is very unlikely that I will get to the lowest level in time I must admit that the journey inspired my to paint things I had not even considered before. So far my first Challenge is thus a very fun experience!

For the Hatchery the protocol specifies “anything hatching - ideally, out of an egg.” So here is the very first female (of sorts, then) figure I have ever painted:

 







This figure is from the The Scourge of Valtan Forest Kickstarter and is described as a Female Half-Snake Fighter. I printed her at 80% on my resin printer but she is still the size of a 28mm figure, standing 40mm tall on her tail. She was painted using Contrast paints, but I used the corresponding washes (i.e., Dragonshade for the tail) and some drybrushing. Not sure the washes were an improvement in all cases (Leviadon Blue for instance is a very nice dark blue straight from the pot), but there you go.

As a half-snake I’m pretty sure she was hatched from an egg, perhaps from these:

 

This is my first FDM print. Not entirely happy with how it turned out, and the print lines are very visible, but I still have got a lot to learn about the right settings en post-print processing procedure. Since I had it lying around and it fits the theme I decided to paint it up anyway. Consider it a piece of alien terrain and the print lines become a feature, no? It’s on a 60mm round base and about one inch tall.



I’ll ask for a single point for the terrain piece, 5 points for the figure and 20 for the Hatchery for a total of 26 points. To the Armoury!

10 comments:

  1. Excellent!!
    After what was Challenge I, I asked Curt why no one was painting female figures ... and that conversation started the “Sarah’s Choice” for the following year.
    I am thrilled that such a striking and dramatic figure is your first female mini.
    🧞‍♀️ 5 Sarah Bonus Points for you 🧞‍♀️
    Well Done Martijn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, that's very generous of you. Thanks, Milady!

      Delete
  2. Great figure and I do think your present approach to the Challenge is the most healthy one! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great figure Martijn and I think the colour effect on the scales is first rate 🐍

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking figure, love the scales on the snake half of her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Splendid looking snake woman, lovely scales!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super snake lady. I'm digging the printed figures - surely the future for much of the hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great mini Martijn. I see Sarah has graced you with bonus points, very well deserved here.

    ReplyDelete