Friday 24 December 2021

From PeteF: Woodland Indians - First, it's the Mohicans - Istvaan V (60 points)

Istvaan V is Betrayal; Heretical/Heretics or Loyalty/Loyalists and this group of Woodland Indians fits all of these, depending on where you stand. They are Revolutionary War era Native Americans - but could be used for French and Indian War skirmishes too. Most remained loyal to the Crown, likely calculating it was in their interests as they were promised protection of their land and trade.  Most of the Eastern Woodland Indians were forced off their land and resettled in faraway Oklahoma.  Even  the Oneida "Stockbridge Indians" who sided with the revolutionaries had most of their land illegally taken from them by the early twentieth century.

The figures are from Warlord Games "Liberty of Death!" box of plastic AWI goodness - a few years ago I got this box for a steal on EBay (a theme in my over zealous collecting of many more miniatures than I can paint) and then added to the AWI pile with a rash purchase of almost a whole 'nother Liberty or Death from someone on The Miniatures Page. They are the old Wargames Factory sculpts - from the 90s? - not really the best - Wargames Factory was very keen on lots of straps and crinkles (advantage of crinkles - they take a wash). You can have fun with the variety of poses and weapon options.

If they ever see the gaming table it will probably be for Rebels and Patriots - it's been a while since I played any AWI - other periods/shiny objects have supplanted it over the last year or two. They were assembled and primed two (three?) challenges ago and completing them has renewed my interest in a Revolutionary War game.

These were quite challenging to paint - the skin tone took many attempts and is probably still a little too much on the dark side. I've had to buy a nail varnish shaker as many of my paints have settled and separated. My eyesight isn't what it was - even a year ago - so I'll need to up the strength of my readers before Challenge 12 is out!  

The Shelf of Hope

Looking a bit lonely

Eight 28m figures.

8x5= 40 points  + 20 points for my first outer ring planet = 60 points. 

Squirrel Points: 1 (Total: 1)

Skulls: 0 (Total:0)




__________________________________

Great work Pete, on these, 'the first patriots'. These figures seem to be pretty good models from the somewhat chequered Wargames Factory stable.  I like the poses you've assembled them in, and your excellent paintwork really does them proud.  I also really like your 'Shelf of Hope' - great motivation that. Funny enough, yesterday I cleared off a space on our fireplace mantle for both Sarah and my efforts this year. We'll see how it goes.

So, back to the Minifig Napoleonics, Pete? I'm looking forward to seeing some of those units this season.

Welcome back to the Challenge!

- Curt


16 comments:

  1. Nice work Pete. Let’s see that shelf get filled up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking Native Americans, especially considering they're wargames factory, shelf pressure, nice!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work, it will be good to see those shelves graoaning under the weight of figures in a few months!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those native Americans look fantastic. Hopefully you will quickly start filling that shelf, it looks quite bare at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Native Americans, no better fit for a Betrayal planet. Despite your eyesight getting worse, these look great - or is it just my eyesight? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goodly work PeteF. That cabinet needs filling ;>)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really good. I like the skin tone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work. The shelf beckons.
    BruceR

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking good Pete, especially the skin tone!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant work Pete, I really like the figure with the musket raised high over his head, what a great pose.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great figure and I absolutely love your shelf!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Of course I am biased, Pete, but I do like em! I have built a few boxes of these and they are wonky as you described and very particular in possible builds. They look good when mixed with other manufacturers as they do make good filler troops.
    I think your skin tone and war paint are pretty good. I found that layers of washes over "finished"base, mid, and highlighted flesh give a good effect.
    I also use a dark red brown for a base followed by tan or dark flesh tones for mid and highlight tones. Keeps my ancestors more red! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Some really good Native Americans Pete!
    Cheers Sander

    ReplyDelete