Friday 24 December 2021

LeeH - People of the Veil - Tuareg Berbers of the Algerian Sahara (64 Points)

My big project for Challenge XII takes me to the inhospitable rocky desert of Southern Algeria in the first few years of the 20th Century. Here the indomitable French Foreign Legion battled with Burbours and Arabs from Morrocco and the Algerian Sahara in the largely lawless region (at that time) known as the Sud-Oranis. So that is the historical context of my new period but there is also the fictional, romantic context displayed in dozens of films from Beau Geste to March or Die. I love these old films and I’m looking forward to learning more of the actual history of the period as the project develops. I fully expect the romantic image and the reality to part ways pretty quickly!



This is my 8th Painting Challenge and I’m usually known for painting 6mm armies. This time, however, I’m shifting up to 15mm and most of the figures I have bought for Challenge XII are by Blue Moon and sold by Old Glory UK. I think I have pretty much cleared them out of their stock having purchased a lot of what I needed at Salute and then put in two subsequent ‘top-up’ orders by mail (the last of which, arrived yesterday). I’m starting with some of the Touregs to ease myself into the project.



I will be using these with The Men Who Would Be King's ruleset and these sword-wielding fellows will be Fierce Tribal Infantry Units of 16 men each. I have yet to find any suitable figures for leaders but that’s the beauty of the challenge, there’s plenty of time to revise that starting target upwards!



I’ll be taking a few days off to recover from what has been a tough week running up to Christmas. Work has gone crazy the last couple of weeks and I have a stinker of a cold (another Christmas Tradition for me) so I’m looking forward to putting my feet up and sleeping off lots of food and wine. I’m off work next week so hopefully, I will get a load more painting done before the New Year arrives. I will refrain from saying "let's hope 2022 is better" because that's pretty much what I said about 2021 last Christmas and I don't want to tempt fate! 

(Scoring: 32x15mm Foot = 64 Points)

______________________________

Oooh, these are fabulous, Lee. What a great period to get into. I quite like the look of these Touregs, especially those blue-clad chaps. Very nice indeed. I'm also admiring how your bases blend nicely with your desert mat. Where is that backdrop from?  I'm looking forward to seeing this project develop over the coming months! (I have a bunch of French Foreign Legion, but have never taken the plunge. Maybe your fine efforts here will spark me (takes note on Blue Moon's offerings).)  

Great work, Mr. Hadley! Now, go and shake that cold with some rum and sweets. :)

- Curt

21 comments:

  1. A great start Lee, looks like it's going to be a stonking project.

    Cheers, Ross

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are great Lee, very effective basing and love that blue. Take care and enjoy the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cracking start to the Project Lee, chocks away 👍

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking Tuaregs,looking forward to the Legion, march or die!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great stuff, I love seeing figures in a desert setting

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always loved the traditional Tuareg clothing- that rich blue and white cloth is a great combo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone. The figures are on my newly acquired Geek Villain fleece mat. Another Salute purchase bought specifically for this project.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great looking tribesmen Lee. Looking forward to seeing more of this project, the FFL has been on my own wish list for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great looking miniatures from the conflict I have not heard from. Thanks for the nice paint and the history lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent project Lee. Love the scene. We all seem to be drawn FFL.
    BruceR

    ReplyDelete
  11. A great start to the new project Lee, looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fearsome desert marauders there. Great entry Lee

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice! I hope you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Definitely like this big project, Lee! The tribesmen are nicely done with your crisp brushwork! I suspect the finished force will be quite colorful. Are you going to succeed Dave's camel count!? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's one serious looking bunh Lee, your painting (as ever) is top notch and I like to see where this projects brings you.

    Cheers Sander

    ReplyDelete
  16. A good start to the project, Lee! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very nice- I’d thought you’d gone to 28mm!

    ReplyDelete