Thursday 6 January 2022

From AlanD - Fantasy Battles in defence of the Ring [Arda] (35 points)

 Orks, Goblins and Elves are imaginary beings, and their exploits are fantasy. 


Something else that is fantasy is the idea that infantry equipped with little more than Teller mines and grenades could stop a major Soviet breakthrough. And yet, in November 1942, Romanian infantry defending the defensive ring (see what I did there?) around the German forces in Stalingrad were expected to protect the over-extended German flanks, despite a lack of effective anti-tank weapons. When the Soviets launched operation Uranus (another mythical planet?), the Romanian defences rapidly collapsed, despite desperate attempts to slow the breakthrough of tanks and infantry of the Red Army.

So, what we have here, apart from a tenuous connection with the theme of the planet Arda worthy of Ray, is a group of Romanian tank hunters who have about as much hope of stopping waves of T-34s as a pack of hobbits. 

I'm not quite sure how this works, but since Arda is next to a Warp Maelstrom thingy, may I request a lift from the honoured Thursday Minion Barks into the next ring? Just drop me off somewhere interesting please!


This is such a sketchy connection, but your Ray-level punning and persistence pays off. If I had a conscience I would feel bad about how I treated Simon. However! I await clarification as to whether or not you are worthy to enter a maelstrom, having only completed three planets so far. I will update this post when I know.

Barks

Addendum: Eddie’s in the time-space continuum… you emerge between the Vogsphere and Cybertron!

14 comments:

  1. I look forward to close assaulting them with my T-34s. Then again, there was that story of Peter Rabbit: Tank Killer...

    Great work mate - you are knocking it out of the park with this Romanian force!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Desperate defenders, even more desperate reasoning in this post!😉

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent desperate tank hunters Dux, desperate reasoning but I’ll buy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Would you say that my reasoning was perhaps fantastical? 😁

      Delete
  4. Nice painting! The slush on the bases has come out quite nicely

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely work Dux! Enjoy your trip through the Maelstrom!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great painting, even better bending of the rules,poor Simon!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice indeed, very left field, I approve wholeheartedly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice little side shimmy to get another planet under your belt 👍

    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete