Thursday 6 January 2022

From Nick: A lone Space Marine (5 points)

Well, well it‘s that time of year again…
Those of you who know me, will also know that I’m not big into Fantasy or SciFi. Painting wise that is, as otherwise I quite like the Warhammer 40k universe. Well, as it was about 20 years ago anyway. Be that as it may, once in a while there‘s an itch to be scratched. While cleaning up the man cave and organising my Mountain of Shame …ahem… Mountain of Opportunity I happened upon a handful of Legion of the Damned Space Marines.  I‘m not sure where I‘ve got these from, especially considering I haven’t painted Marines in almost two decades.
So, while I don’t really dig their official paint scheme I quite like the figures (for Space Marines).  Thus I‘ve been wrecking my brain ever since as to how to paint these fellas. By chance I came across some pictures of really nicely painted Word Bearers and instantly knew the look I‘d aim for.

I fancy mine to be Marines of… let’s say questionable loyalty, and with little to no „official“ imperial iconography the models fit just nicely. On the other hand the distinct lack of spikes and other distinctly chaotic paraphernalia also helps to make them more rogues than outright traitors.  Apostates maybe…

Apostata

I‘m not quite sure where I‘ll go with this as Space Marines never really were my thing, but I might just paint up the rest of the ones I already have. They should be enough for some Kill Team sized games. And admittedly painting Marines can be quite fun for a change. All the big, smooth surfaces make for an interesting challenge and are ideal to try out new things. On another note I‘m quite surprised my smartphone camera makes rather usable pictures, without too much fuss. Unfortunately single figures only, so no groups, and not in a photo cube…


So, that’s it from me. My first entry to this years challenge. A single Space Marine for a whooping 5 points.  


Welcome back, Nick! I like your take on this apostate marine. The cool eldritch flames are a nice contrast to the rich armour tone. The Skull-o-meter™ is sad that this isn't going into the official skullz tally. I like your reframing of the 'Mountain of Opportunity'!

Barks

25 comments:

  1. Love work Nick! Come on, just a few more...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should add, Nick, as part of my recruitment efforts, that if you like "plainer" looking Marines, the 30k range fits the bill perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one heck of an inspiring paintjob, the red is gorgeous! Otherwise It's a heresy of course, but hey I play Dark Angels so what do I know?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to Team Thursday Nick, great Space Womble to kick off with 👍

    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice colours on the armour and the blue flames.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The shading on the red is outstanding, excellent work! And I love the 80’s vibe of the blue flames against it. I’ll bet this marine paints flames like that all along the side of his squad’s rhino troop carrier, with a painting of the grim reaper too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely work, nice and strong tones. That blue really stands out as well, awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great painting and first entry for the AHPCXII.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful painting! Like the blue flames!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Grim dark space reflected beautifully. Great scheme and brush work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A really striking colour scheme and lovely flamer effects - nice work Heretic!

    PS I call mine the "Pile of Potential" as it sounds more hopeful :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. 5 very well deserved points, tip top work on the shading. Lovely entry. Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a very striking figure!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Welcome back Nick! This Space Marine might well be a Renegade, not anymore loyal to the Emperor, but not following the Chaos Gods either (at least yet). They do exist in the fluff every now and then, but not much in the rules, Chaos Space Marine rules are usable, though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful work my friend. He looks like he's often misunderstood. Maybe a marine working in the retinue of an Inquisitor? It's a delicious mystery. I love the blue flames against the rich red of his armour. Welcome back to the Challenge mate.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous looking apostate space marine!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice painting Nick, the red looks superb.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You’re not Nick, where’s the feldgrau and exquisitely painted face?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Even though we both have been dragging our feet looks like you beat me to first post Nick. He course is painted beautifully and really like that shade of red.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete