Sunday 2 January 2022

From JohnS - Not As Many Spaniards As You Think - Solaris - 50 points

Hiho Fellow Challengers!

It's great to be back on the brushes again, among such august company. The Challenge is one of the highlights of my year as I get some motivation to finish more miniatures, as well as a chance to be part of the greater miniatures community on a purely social basis.

My first entry for this year is an optical illusion from the Peninsula on Solaris.

Are you seeing double?

To the untrained eye it might seem that there are twelve Spanish infantry of 1809 in this picture but you would be incorrect. Kind of.


You see, only SIX of these Spanish have been painted during the Challenge, the other six were painted previously so they're not really there! Your eyes have been deceived!


I have been painting my Napoleonic Spanish army for longer than the war went on it seems and have been mixing up different manufacturers to give it a little more ragtag and individualistic look. I painted a couple of dozen infantry earlier this year and when I went to base them I realised that there were only limited poses and brands involved. So I prepped a pile of the Warlord Spanish for the Challenge and have been working my way through them.
I finished six this week and based them up with six from the pre-Challenge lot but I am obviously only claiming painting points for the six.

Waiting for their turn at the painting table

I have gone a bit crazy with my prep for this Challenge, this is about a third of what I have cleaned up and primed. Go hard or go home I reckon.

I have an entry for this year's ABC Side Duel!

Plus this would be my first SQUIRREL! point.
And I cheekily try for the Solaris 20 point bonus to give me a total of 50 for this entry.

_______________________________

Oh, those are some very nice Spanish, John, even the poor misbegotten six that you painted before the Challenge look terrific (and great hook to give them some press here, btw). :) These fellows look rather chic with their muted grey uniform, set off by their dark blue facings and red plumes.  I've always liked the Napoleonic Spanish as they had such incredibly colourful grear and a wide variety of jaunty (and crazy looking) headgear for us hobbyists to enjoy. 

Great work John!

PS: I think I may rip off your excellent Alphabet Soup table as I love visuals. 'P' is for Plagiarism... 



26 comments:

  1. Lovely work John! I've tried counting the Spaniards, but keep getting different results....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect that may have more to do with your choice of refreshments!

      Delete
  2. Lots of optical illusions here, non-existing Spaniards and then I'm seeing unpainted miniatures in a glass cabinet. That must be some kind of illusion as well. Surely that place is reserved for the minis painted with highest quality? Well, actually, by ebay standards they might be pro painted... :)

    But the painted minis here, very nice. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry Teemu, these unpainted interlopers will soon be cast out into the cold where they belong and the shelves filled with happy little fully painted miniatures, just the way nature intended. The case was temporarily empty while my French army was marshalling for an away game and these chappies snuck in as every other surface in the hobby room was covered!

      Delete
  3. As a former journalist I can assure you that the correct term is "I is for Inspiration". Sometimes extremely heavy inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back John, great start on these Spanish 👍

    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking Spaniards.

    If you are counting Squirrels, please put the Squirrel tag in the post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work. My Napoleonic British took me about ten years in the end, so you are not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! That is only 1/3 of what you have prepped?! I can’t wait to see the cabinet filled with all your accomplishments from the Challenge. Excellent work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, the issue is of course, will I paint them all?

      Delete
  8. Inconceivable!

    I, too, will swipe your Bingo card.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Splendid looking Spanish!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  10. My nice mate - great to see this army getting off the paint desk, into the cupboard and soon onto the table!

    ReplyDelete