Sunday 23 January 2022

From SimonG: 28mm Romans for Klandathu - The Doomed 12th Legion (95 points)

What better subject for Klandathu (an invasion gone bad) then the legio XII Fulminata ambushed at the Beth Haron pass in CE 66.

Here's my recreation of pp12-13 (and the cover) from Osprey Campaign 252!




My contribution this week are 15 28mm Victrix Early Imperial Auxilary figures representing my first batch of Romans for my Jewish Rebellion project. This is actually my first time painting uniforms and it turned out to be a bit of a slog. Having to paint the same thing over and over again is quite tiring but ultimately I think the effort was worth it.



I hadn't bothered to order shield transfers so had to hand paint 12 shields with a simple laurel wreath design -- don't look too closely but I think it came out OK -- secret seemed to be layering many layers of brighter colours than you think you need (and also choosing the right base colour -- the red worked much better than the blue).





While the poses of theses figures are quite static the overall level of detail is very good and they take washes extremely well (especially for the sandals). I'm also making progress on painting whites as seen on the Centurion's cape -- unfortunately very tricky to photograph. Also I was surprised to see the standard bearer still wearing his bearskin (must have been sweltering in it) but there he is hidden away in that Peter Dennis plate bearskin and all!







By my reckoning this is good for another 95 points (15 28mm figures for 75 plus the 20 point Challenge Quadrant bonus). With the outer ring complete my next stop is Vlogsphere and an encounter with the medieval DMV!




____________________________________

Fabulous work Simon. You long, laborious labour has paid off handsomely with these sons of Rome. You brushwork is wonderfully smooth, plucking out the details, helping to bring these models to life. My favourite has to be the standard bearer. As you say, it must have been hellaciously hot under all that fur and armour. As it's -22 here right now, I wouldn't mind a little hike under the Judean sun, if only for a short time to warm up!

Well done!

- Curt 


36 comments:

  1. Very nice Simon. And you've painted eye's too! Braver man than me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray. Once you have a process for eyes it’s quite easy plus a good magnifier and a steady hand 😜

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. Now just need to check out some new uniform designs for the next batch

      Delete
  3. Nicely done, Simon! :)

    The green would work better over red than blue because they are complementary colours, so contrast better with each other than green would with blue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin - good reminder for me to dig out my colour wheel! Plus always keep reminding myself that the smaller the detail the brighter you need it and not worry about going too far.
      Also had another funny paint colour mishap in that I painted all the chain in a much lighter metallic than I normally use (why are the paint names all similar 😣) but once washed with nuln oil it came out perfectly and didn’t need highlighting which a darker base coat would have done. Funny how you learn through accidents

      Delete
  4. I love the dirt detail on the cloaks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. I thought it would be pretty dusty so a light smattering of dust on everyone’s lower extremities seemed appropriate 🤔

      Delete
  5. Excellent Romans Simon, really enjoying this project. Really nice sheilds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. It’s taking longer than I hoped but making progress and god you liked the shields

      Delete
  6. A fine looking bunch and the shields turned out nicely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin. Now I need to come up with another shield design I can paint freehand 🤔

      Delete
  7. That's some awesome painting, I really like they way all your different textures turned out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sander - that’s mostly down to some good model work by the Victors designers, once you get a handle on the painting it all just comes out well

      Delete
  8. Excellent work here, especially those hand painted shields! You are far braver than I am, I would never attempt that, they look really good, I had to zoom in to tell that they were painted and not decals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Byron, much appreciated although I have to work on my lettering, it’s all over the place!

      Delete
  9. I do love a nicely painted Roman Army - and these are great! Well impressed with the hand painted shield art!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Impressive! Your hand painted shields are so well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natasha -- I did cheat by drawing in a guide circle using a straw as a template --actually very hard to get it centred correctly as you can tell!

      Delete
  11. Painting uniforms might be a burden, but painting those shields must be a double! Great job on them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teemu. Actually what I liked least was painting the sandals but I was very pleased that a wash of nuln oil really brought out the details and as flesh and light tan leather are quite close my sloppy brush work isn’t noticeable. Now to work on adding sandals to my Numidian based Jews (I’ve got some fine wire to work with)

      Delete
  12. Hi Simon:
    These are lovely chaps, so well done. The officer in particular is ver fine and I love the legionnaire w the moustache, why shouldn’t Romans have staches, especially if he was recruited in absurd or Germany?
    Looks like a tough fight for those chaps, but what have the Romans ever done for us?
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike. Yes with all that facial hair I assumed they were Germanic auxiliaries. Definitely less tan then the natives 😉

      Delete
  13. Excellent brush work. Love the lost legion weave into the planets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bruce. It did seem to fit the location well, although of course things eventually worked out much worse for the other side!

      Delete
  14. Absolutely amazing work on the shield Simon. They looked great to begin with but those take them to another level!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely looking Romans and the hand painted shields are ace!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. It’s great to get all this good feedback, helps to know I’m on the right track

      Delete
  16. Hand painted shields .. wow! Well done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah, needs must when you haven’t planned ahead 😉

      Delete
  17. Replies
    1. Thanks Barks -- appreciate the kind words. S

      Delete