Tuesday 22 February 2022

From Phil: A whistle-stop tour of Babylon5 and Vulcan (54 Points)

Is it even February yet..? 

Sad to say I've been very quiet during Challenge XII so far. Not for a lack of minis to paint, just busy, tired, juggling too many projects and a sharp shift in enthusiasm to a new project putting the brakes on all of sapping the enthusiasm for the half-finished. What I intended to be painting isn't what I want to be painting. But I follow the Brush where it leads me!

On a related bright side, I'm actually getting some regular games in for the first time in goodness knows how long.  

Still, I should tick off some more planets, and a galaxy far far away has plenty I can use on my journey.
So for Babylon 5 'operatic, low-budget fun'. Star Wars itself fits the bill as a Space Opera setting and I plucked this random mini from the pile of 3D prints. It's a rather grand and rotund Twi'lek, apparently named Orn Free Taa. He's a corrupt and self-serving senator from the prequel trilogy. As I focus on the original trilogy/Galactic Civil War for my collection, he can serve as some VIP or merchant NPC. A long-lost sibling or cousin, perhaps. 
He's a resin 3D print from RavenX Studios. As can be the case with prints, I found the detail on him to be a bit soft, and had to mostly freestyle the detailing his robes. I kept to the brownish palate of the character, though liked the orange contrast with his blue skin. 

Onward to Vulcan, and pointy ears. No elves about these parts, but what's this...? Yup, another rubber-faced Star Wars alien. One of my favourites in fact, yes it's the low-rent Rodian bounty hunter Greedo. Outrageously maligned by George Lucas revisionism, for me he categorically did not shoot at Han first. No, he was gunned down in cold blood by a complete scoundrel, and don't believe any other version of the story!

Another 3D print, coincidentally also from RavenX Studios, much better detailed and a nice gunslinging pose.
I'm pleased with how his skin and googly eyes came out. I did him from a zenithal prime, tried to highlight zenithally and added some texture to the leatherwork. As Greedo only features in one scene, I used this from the Battlefront video game as a painting reference. I didn't get close to the right shade for his jumpsuit, but whatever.
Two minis scaled for Star Wars Legion 35mm, and two planet bonuses makes me a tidy 54 points, if I maths'd correctly. Next up: the new project should make an appearance.


It seems that "leveraging" has spread to Tuesdays now, but with great style! Those two figures are cracking, Phil!

Tamsin

35 comments:

  1. Very fine miniatures from the very fine (best) movie trilogy. Greedo looks great, I guess the color of his jumpsuit varies depending the lightning, so I guess you are 100% correct with it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Phil!
    Happy to see you! Love the Greedo, and I agree, Han did shoot first!
    - Best to Alice & kiddos 😘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Han shot; Greedo didn't. The later video showing Greedo shoot was clearly manipulated by the New Republic's Propaganda department. :)

      Delete
  3. Brilliant brush work Phil - and I see your points-scraping is taking on a touch of a "Wednesday" hue as well...

    "What I want to be painting isn't what I intended to be painting" - that could be a motto for the last week of February for all of us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh the heady ideals and aspirations of November ‘21. Innocent times.

      Delete
  4. Your brushwork on Greedo is excellent! The colours absolutely pop!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work on both of them, Phil! I really like the vibrant colors and blending, especially on the corrupt senator. His robes are really nice!
    I agree...Han shot first!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to see you Phil. Nice skin tones on these two reprobates.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful to have you emerge from your hobby desk. These two figures are stunning. I love the robes on Mr. Taa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *blinks into the sunlight. Turns, retreats back to daylight-lamp lit gloom*

      Delete
  8. Just what I was about to say -the brushwork is stunning

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ace! I love the rich colours, especially on Greedo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome painting, they both look great!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. Thanks Dallas. Such a classic rubber-faced goon

      Delete
  12. impressive, most impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous work Phil. Greedo's eyes and skin tone are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That Greedo is absolutely fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Brilliant brushwork, stunning colours. Very strong entry.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete