Saturday 12 March 2022

From PeterB. The Original wargame. [112 points]

For the penultimate week I have been painting something different again (I really am the ultimate hobby butterfly.) This week's models are for the original wargame, (No, not HG Wells) Chess.
My Father in Law hand cast these himself from moulds. Having cast a set for himself he presented me with these a while ago for my own amusement. They stand around 45mm tall apart from the Rooks who are a little shorter. 

This set are Crusaders and eventually when the other set is cast they will be Saracens. (All donations of old pewter mugs and model offcuts graciously received.) I wanted to paint them in a non realistic paint scheme, giving them a core colour of white, (making them clearly obvious one side of a chess set.) then only keeping to a limited pallete of browns and silver for the chainmail. The other side will start off black with its own limited pallette of darker colours.

The bases have been painted I promise, the white is a conscious choice.

They are a great set of stylised sculpts. I particularly like the Rooks although they take up a lot of metal to cast them.

The whole lot are coated in a generous layer of Coat D'arms Super Shader which not only improves the look, but also protects the models somewhat from losing their paint to overhandling.


Scores on the doors then.
16 x 40mm models at 7 points each. 112 points.

From Millsy:

These are really rather lovely Peter! It's easy to forget amongst all the wonderful variety and endless new releases that there's a beginning to all of this "stuff" that we play with. I remember hand casting my own 40mm semi-rounds when I was starting out and the weight quickly added up. I can only imagine what a full set of these will weigh when all 32 pieces are complete.

I like the fact you steered away from the obvious choice of include red to make these Templars. I do hope there will be some Black Guard in the Saracens when they are done too though!

A great entry mate. Off the beaten path and really well executed.

13 comments:

  1. What a fabulous post! I really love these chess pieces, I hope we get to see the black pieces before the end of the Challenge. Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great start to the chess set, Peter! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A brilliant white side of the chess board. Great choice of a calmed down pallet too Peter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys. The black pieces aren't even cast yet, so maybe next years challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing project! I really like the colour palette you’ve chosen. It sets off the sculpts perfectly and highlights your painting skills.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just lovely
    What a wonderful gift from your father in law and the neutral colour palette you have chosen is brilliant.
    Looking forward to seeing the black pieces in the next AHPC

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really lovely, Peter, the pieces have a kind of medieval simplicity, and the calm paint scheme you've chosen sets them off beautifully. 12/10 would play chess on this board.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  8. Splendid looking chess pieces, I've got some moulds that I aim to be casting this year and I've kept my old lead water mains pipe that got ripped out!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice painting and a clever choice to paint them in white!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look fantastic, the limited palette worked very well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is an awesome set of figures indeed!

    ReplyDelete