Friday 23 December 2022

From TomG: Hellboy in Honour of Mike Mignola, Black & White Studio Challenge - 25 points

"Don't mess with me, lady. I've been drinking with skeletons!"

Hey all, I've decided to jump deep down the rabbit hole of the studio challenge this year, and felt there was no better place to start, than with this gorgeous miniature of "Big Red"... but in the style of the Mike Mignola graphic novels. 



Resplendent in black and white, imitating the bold monotone of the art form, Hellboy is presented to you today with only 3 colours used. Initially primed with AK Interactive Black Primer, from a can, I then used Vallejo Model Colour Light Grey to sketch out where I wanted the white areas to be. 




These areas were then covered, almost entirely, with Cuttlefish Colours White Knight, but it could have been any white paint, this was the just the closest to hand. Now, although I've only got a few of these paints from back a kickstarter, they flow really nicely and have great pigmentation.




Overall, the mini was a joy to paint, and after owning this model for over a decade, it really was time to give him his dues. All in all it took just over an hour to paint him up, and quite frankly, it was a great way to break the ice on my frozen hobby of late, as I've severely lacked motivation to do any miniature hobbying lately.

However, with my palette suitably cleansed, I present you with Hellboy.

Points = 25
28mm Infantry - 5 points
Challenge Entry - 20 points

Have a great challenge everyone, and I'll see you all soon. 

Yours,

Tom G

____________________________________

Great work on the greyscale, Tom, and I'm delighted that Hellboy (a decade in the waiting) helped break the duck for your hobby drought. I also like the background you used for him - very apropos. 

Welcome back to the Challenge!

- Curt


32 comments:

  1. He looks stunning! Well done, very cartoony finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing makes me prouder than to hear that, thank you Teemu. I'll try my best to keep this standard up for you 😉

      Delete
  2. Thank you, I really enjoy painting like this, I seem to do one every year 😆

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this Hasslefree mini. You've done a great job on it. I bought two so I could have it as the Sin City variant as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and that's a brilliant idea! I originally built it as Marv, but lost his arm, so swapped it all over long ago

      Delete
  4. Nice work, Tom! Funnily enough, I did the Marv version of this figure in greyscale a few Challenges ago. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very well done. Wonderful mini and excellent grey scale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bruce, it certainly is enjoyable just building up points of light, rather than worrying about colour.

      Delete
  6. That is looking surprisingly good for what you described as a very quick paint job. Well done, you may have inspired me as well as yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, to have inspired anyone would make my challenge complete! It really was just a case of looking the model over and over, then deciding where to start "sketching" in light points, then when I messed that all up, just slapping on thin coats of white and grey 😁

      Delete
  7. That's a great looking figure Tom!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very clever painting mate! Good to hear that it has broken your dry spell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it was a relief to not finish it with a sense of disinterest!

      Delete
  9. Really nice grey scale - it's so hard to get the light areas right like this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pete! I used a bright overhead light to take a photo of it, just to give me an idea of what to look for.

      Delete
  10. Awesome entry for this category in the challenge!
    Cheers Jez T

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice work, Tom! Very smooth brushwork!

    ReplyDelete